73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
Cool I like the looks of that hood. I thought about trying to mold in the first new challenger style hood and seeing how that would look. Kinda like the picture Spike posted a while back. Carhoods.com has been saying they are coming out with a bolt on SRT style hood for a couple years now :???:

I tried them also, and heard the same thing.

hey Ross, an idea for your grille.... i like both the sharktooth and the valiant grilles, but my idea is for the sharktooth. keep it gloss black but add chrome or bright silver to the edges of the grille teeth..... for chrome maybe use door edge guards. i just spent a while reading the whole thread, you should be proud...you've got a beautiful automobile

hey Ross, an idea for your grille.... i like both the sharktooth and the valiant grilles, but my idea is for the sharktooth. keep it gloss black but add chrome or bright silver to the edges of the grille teeth..... for chrome maybe use door edge guards. i just spent a while reading the whole thread, you should be proud...you've got a beautiful automobile
Ken,
Funny you should say that ....my current plan/idea is to use the shark tooth grille and add the bright surround molding instead of the trim Black color they are now. The rendering was done that way. I hadn't considered painting it (grille) gloss black, I'll have to give that some thought. Thanks for the compliment, I appreciate it.

Attachments

• rendering.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 709
Just a quick update..I made the Aluminum spacer for the drivers side inlet hose, now I'm happy with the angles. I will bolt the spacer to the fitting and finish them together as one piece so they line up before painting or anodizing everything so it will blend into the cover better than the Bare Aluminum. I also made a mounting bracket for the water pump that will bolt it to the frame rail and will get Powder Coated Gloss Black, The 2.875" spacer is for the .750" hole in the top of the frame rail on the passenger side and used as a crush sleeve when all is bolted together.

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 674
  • 016.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 658
  • 011.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 673
  • 004.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 663
  • 007.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 665
  • 009.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 667
  • 014.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 680
WOW just gets better and better. love how you think out side the box.

Yep. That makes it better.

I think the "Perfection is not our goal; it is our standard" guy would approve.

WOW just gets better and better. love how you think out side the box.

Thanks...since I already Sold the other polished water pump there is no turning back now, although now the upper Radiator hose is starting to really bother me so I will have to look into options for cleaning that up.

Yep. That makes it better.

I think the "Perfection is not our goal; it is our standard" guy would approve.

Thanks John,
Since I really hate wires and hoses looking cluttered together and not routed cleanly, it just had to be done, a Co-worker saw the picture and said "Really ...most people would never notice" but I did.

It looks... racey.

and like it belongs with the rest of the mods

Thanks...since I already Sold the other polished water pump there is no turning back now, although now the upper Radiator hose is starting to really bother me so I will have to look into options for cleaning that up.

Thanks John,
Since I really hate wires and hoses looking cluttered together and not routed cleanly, it just had to be done, a Co-worker saw the picture and said "Really ...most people would never notice" but I did.

I can't believe you scratched the AN fitting..........
All kidding aside, beautiful.

It looks... racey.

and like it belongs with the rest of the mods

Then Mission Accomplished, that's what I was going for, I wanted to make sure I had something creative to you to look at on your next visit.

Your going to be the envy of the A body universe when you are done.

Thanks, but unfortunately I think there are probably just as many people out there that wont like or don't already like what I'm doing, but that's fine, I didn't build it for anybody but me.

I can't believe you scratched the AN fitting..........
All kidding aside, beautiful.

Thanks Mark.. Quit hating cars and show some progress pictures.

Here is the hole in the frame that the aluminum crush sleeve in the second photo will go into.....Well tomorrow A.M. it's off to INDY for the Mecum car auction, looks like there's lots of Mopars there this year.

Attachments

• DSC_0020.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 602
  • 014.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 614
another idea, for the hood this time.... make the hood reverse opening, like a Vette
just my $0.02

problem is, it'll cost more than that to do

another idea, for the hood this time.... make the hood reverse opening, like a Vette
just my $0.02

problem is, it'll cost more than that to do

I had looked into a kit to do this, but it was already painted when I was considering it. My painter did a reverse mount trunk on James Browns 66' Nova (yes, the sports commentator) and it looked pretty good.

Attachments

• 0904chp_15_z+anchor_james_brown+james_brown_standing_next_to_his_1966_chevy_nova.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 519
Just a thought. I wonder what the Dodge brand (two stripes on the side like challenger r/t) stripes would look like in silver on the side of that car.

Hi Ross, wanted to say hi from Downunder. I've spent the last week and a half of late nights reading your build thread and I have to say I'm absolutely astounded by your ability as a fabricator and jack of all trades. Well done. Your Duster is jaw droppingly amazing. Love it mate.

You've inspired me to get back into my own money pit, sorry, I meant project. I only wish I had a quarter of your fabricating and welding ability, I have to farm alot of my labour out to others.

Anyway, I sit here patiently now waiting for the next installment.

keep up the great work. You're an inspiration to all of us.
Cheers,
Chris

Looks great. Mods are simply amazing. Keep up the good work.:coffee2:

Hi Ross, wanted to say hi from Downunder. I've spent the last week and a half of late nights reading your build thread and I have to say I'm absolutely astounded by your ability as a fabricator and jack of all trades. Well done. Your Duster is jaw droppingly amazing. Love it mate.

You've inspired me to get back into my own money pit, sorry, I meant project. I only wish I had a quarter of your fabricating and welding ability, I have to farm alot of my labour out to others.

Anyway, I sit here patiently now waiting for the next installment.

keep up the great work. You're an inspiration to all of us.
Cheers,
Chris

Thanks guys for the Positive comments......Looks like I need to get back to the car so I can get some photo worthy progress pic's for you.

I just got back from Mecum and must say prices were confusing for our beloved Mopar's the Black Cuda sold for $77k but the Red one almost identical except for color, only made it to $36K and didn't sell. The big surprise was the Orange Demon...Holy crap, just a nice restored stock body with a 6.1 Gen III for $78K !

Attachments

• 025.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 488
  • 037.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 508
  • 014.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 505
  • 013.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 505
  • 006.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 497
  • 018.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 496
  • 033.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 513
I upgraded the front end components(Per Denny of HDK's recommendation). The tie rod ends (Moog ES2150RL) are huge compared to the previous model and really take up almost all the threads on the Rack and Pinion (unlike in the 4th picture that was taken before the swap)...I also swapped out/upgraded the Lower Control Arm pivot shaft to Denny's newest design and assembled the steering shaft and U-joints, it's close... but clears the headers.

Attachments

• 017.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 489
  • 013.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 489
  • 011.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 495
  • 010.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 479
  • 003.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 484
  • 007.jpg