73' B3 340 Duster pro touring build

-
I think I feel another "BS or BS" conversation coming on.
I hope it doesn't get out of hand.:coffee2:

OH, come on - you need to play better with us children. we were havin' so much fun guessin' :banghead: & bs-in' what was going on, especially since Denny's thread has been sooo quiet

Denny's thread has been quiet because he is busy building K frame and coil over conversion packages.....with a few refinements.

Also, in the last few months, the footer, block and rough plumbing for new shop were put in, along with gutting and changing walls in the rental house on the property.

By March or April things should get back to "normal"..... meaning the brown Duster comes out of storage for progress AND complete a HDK rear package for marketing. All this thinking time has the wheels turning (in my head).

Be nice to work on something without having to rearrange everything.....and have some actual workbenches, use my big air compressor, and update some equipment.

I might be getting old, but I got the drive for hot rods like a teenager in heat.

I think I feel another "BS or BS" conversation coming on.
I hope it doesn't get out of hand.:coffee2:

Actually, for a little insider information....there will be some BS being discussed in the future regarding some Budnik wheels. It's time to ditch the Polished Aluminum.

I thought it was a Russian space ship................. :coffee2:

I think my Billet Specialties Wheels would look good on your Black Demon, since you have lots of shiny stuff....... Of course at a Heavily Discounted price.

Those are 17s right? Would you be going to 18 or staying 17?

Yes, the current wheels are 17"X11" rear and 17"X7" front...the new wheels will be 18"X12" rear and 18"X7" front. I had considered 20"X12" for the rears so I could run a 29" tall x15" wide Mickey Thompson SR Radial which is about the same dimensions as my M&H Racemaster's 390/40R17's. Unfortunately, there isn't a 18" tire out there that is the same size as my 390 Racemaster's, so I'll be giving up about an inch in tire width and height. My current tire is 29.5" tall by 14.3" section width.

Best bet is 345 in 18s it's. 14 wide and 28 tall

yea...unfortunately that's the biggest I can get which still amounts to 1 1/2" loss in overall height and about 1" of width, I have plenty of room to go wider and hate to go smaller.

I think the 20" with the 29x15 Mickey Thompson S/R would look great with the matching 18" 26x8 upfront. :thumbrig:
What gears you running? 4.10 or even a 4.30?

When I originally had 29" M/T Sportsman Pros I had a 4.30 gear. When I went down to 26" tall drag radials I switched to 3.55s. Same RPMs per MPH with either setup.

Yes, the current wheels are 17"X11" rear and 17"X7" front...the new wheels will be 18"X12" rear and 18"X7" front. I had considered 20"X12" for the rears so I could run a 29" tall x15" wide Mickey Thompson SR Radial which is about the same dimensions as my M&H Racemaster's 390/40R17's. Unfortunately, there isn't a 18" tire out there that is the same size as my 390 Racemaster's, so I'll be giving up about an inch in tire width and height. My current tire is 29.5" tall by 14.3" section width.

i like Budnik wheels, which ones are you planning/thinking on getting?

I think the 20" with the 29x15 Mickey Thompson S/R would look great with the matching 18" 26x8 upfront. :thumbrig:
What gears you running? 4.10 or even a 4.30?

I think that there's not enough sidewall for the look I was going for but I keep looking at some pictures I found on the interwebs hoping they will grow on me....As for gears I'm running 3.73's. I posted the pics below of the tire size.

i like Budnik wheels, which ones are you planning/thinking on getting?

I'm looking at either the Fontana or M5's (non-polished)

Attachments

• 1105phr-06-o+1967-mustang-fastback+right-side.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 579
  • newwheelsfromfront.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 604
  • TwinStingrearwithnewwheels.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 586
  • SEMA-2010-American-Muscle-Car-Mustang3.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 544
I don't like it on the Vette, wheel opening to high. On your Duster I think it would look good tucked in there.

I don't like it on the Vette, wheel opening to high. On your Duster I think it would look good tucked in there.

Rod,
I mocked up 20" wheel on the Duster and the top of the rim was right at the bottom of the wheel arch...I would have to lower the car to tuck it up in the quarter panel, the full wheel tubs and raised transmission tunnel will definitely let me do it, but I don't thing the bottom of the car would appreciate being that low to the ground. I found a couple other pics of a car with the 29"x15" Mickey's that are tucked in correctly but it's an $3000.00 mistake if it doesn't look right once its all together.

Oh, congratulations on the Mopar Action photo shoot and story !!!!

Attachments

• MM-chevelle-7.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 536
  • MM-chevelle-6.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 562
  • MM-chevelle-5.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 548
I see your predicament,,,a real tough call. I think I would leanmore towards filling the width of the tubs as apposed to having more sidewall, more rubber to the road :)

,,,,and thank you :)

I see your predicament,,,a real tough call. I think I would leanmore towards filling the width of the tubs as apposed to having more sidewall, more rubber to the road :)

,,,,and thank you :)

Rod,
Since I figured it was time to put the Blizzaks on my Charger for the winter, I decided to see what one of the 20" wheel/tire combinations would look like on the Duster, since the tire is 28.5" tall it would be close to the height of what the Mickey Thompson S/R would fit like on a 20" wheel...obviously the new wheel would have a totally different offset but it was enough to visualize the "look". I can't say I was Sold due to the lack of sidewall height, so it looks like I'll stick with the 18's.
On a side note I re-measured the current M & H on the 17" x 11" wheel just to see how close it was to there advertised specs since they measured it on a 12" wheel, section width was 13.4"and the 18" closest tire is actually 13.8" of course that's measured on a 13" rim.....so It will be real close in width just a little shorter.

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 544
  • 022.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 521
  • 029.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 532
I like the third pic, but I like to see a little tire from the side. Your car will be a stunner what ever way you go with it.

I like the third pic, but I like to see a little tire from the side. Your car will be a stunner what ever way you go with it.

Thanks,
The third pic is what's currently on it 17"x11", Since I'm ordering a new set of wheels and the tire I ideally want only came in a 20" option so I wanted to get a 20" wheel in there to see if I could live with the short sidewall ....and I didn't like it, So now it's back to 18's.

Ross, I like the 20s. But That's just me. If you can get the tire tucked up in the wheel well a like more it will look much more sinister. Since we are on a mopar site and I don't want to jack up your build thread. Look on the shops facebook page and look up project Silverback. It's a camaro the rears are 20x12 with a 355/35 It sits way over the wheel and just looks killer. Your car would look the same. Just my 2 cents.

Or just type in project silverback and go to images. It's all over the internet.

-
Back