73 dart pitman arm seal

-

ram45red

Reaction score
I need to replace the pitmam arm seal on son's 73 dart swinger. Does anyone have the part number for the lower power steering box seal?

You'll need a 1&5/16 inch socket. I forget what that is in mm ( 1.312 X 25.4 ) and a snap ring plier.
The pitman arm might come off with a pickle fork and hammer but that can screw up the steering gear internally too. There is a special little pitman arm puller for the job. Your local part store may have one to loan/rent.
I put a pan under the box after the snap ring is removed, then start engine, steer to bump stop and let hydrolic pressure blow the seal and fluid into the pan.
The old seal inverted protects the new seal from damage where a proper seal driver isn't available. Hope this helps

See rockauto for several choices. As I recall, there is first a rubber dust shield that you can pick out, then a snap ring holding the seal in place. I pried it out, but RedFish idea of blowing it out with pressure is good and helps clean any gunk at the bottom at the same time. You can get a Pitman arm puller for ~$10 at Harbor Freight. As I recall, the Dart uses the larger size one. BTW, for other readers, I found the same seal works on a manual box. It just doesn't use the dust shield and I don't recall a snap ring, but there is no pressure there, just a grease seal.

See rockauto for several choices. As I recall, there is first a rubber dust shield that you can pick out, then a snap ring holding the seal in place. I pried it out, but RedFish idea of blowing it out with pressure is good and helps clean any gunk at the bottom at the same time. You can get a Pitman arm puller for ~$10 at Harbor Freight. As I recall, the Dart uses the larger size one. BTW, for other readers, I found the same seal works on a manual box. It just doesn't use the dust shield and I don't recall a snap ring, but there is no pressure there, just a grease seal.

Blowing that seal out isn't my idea. Thats how the service techs did it back in the day. Did it myself a few times too.

-
Back