73 duster front brakes locking up when coming to a stop.

-
I'm really glad you got the brakes working correctly.
When you said the emergency stuff was missin I immediately thought un-sprung weight, cuz I build racecars.
We tear out all the struts, levers, cables, and often seriously modify the backing plate to remove every ounce of unnecessary weight, leaving only the wheel cyl/spring mounts, and the pads the shoes ride on.
Being a builder., I automatically think parasitic power loss thru unnecessary weight, sprung and un-sprung weight, friction, rotating mass.
We make the vehicles as light as possible below rule, then add weight where it's needed.
Anyway, when you're more familiar with mechanics, one day you'll look at that strut and lever, smile, and nod your head as you understand.
Here some pix of how we modify backing plates for competition, and the championship rewards after many years of actual building and racing.
Beware keyboard mechanics .
Keep up the good work.

View attachment 1716217039

View attachment 1716217040

View attachment 1716217043

View attachment 1716217044

View attachment 1716217051
Now that's cool stuff right there! Yeah, people just don't realize how much all the little stuff adds up. It's a lot, too! Cool car!

Now that's cool stuff right there! Yeah, people just don't realize how much all the little stuff adds up. It's a lot, too! Cool car!
Thanks, I'm hoping someone on here has one I was at the Mopar swap meat last week and passed up on 1 for $250. Because I only need to just a handle l o l

Thanks, I'm hoping someone on here has one I was at the Mopar swap meat last week and passed up on 1 for $250. Because I only need to just a handle l o l
You'll find one. Have you contacted Brewer's?

When I bought the car, the guy stated that the front brakes were locking up. But I didn't think that would be a big deal. Or a deal breaker when I purchase the car.
When you drive the car, if you push on the brakes slowly it will stop if you use the brakes. Normally the front will lock up , but as soon as you let off the pedal , it rolls again....
Replace front brake hoses.

Replace front brake hoses.
Sorry.
It seems like I already fixed this issue by adding all of the emergency brake springs and components to the rear backing plates They were missing It seemed to have done The trick for whatever reason it doesn't lock at the rear breaks I miss spoke and said front in my original post.It was the rear But I was having issues with

When I bought the car, the guy stated that the front brakes were locking up. But I didn't think that would be a big deal. Or a deal breaker when I purchase the car.
When you drive the car, if you push on the brakes slowly it will stop if you use the brakes. Normally the front will lock up , but as soon as you let off the pedal , it rolls again....
You could be developing a blockage in your brake lines. I had an Astro van that did that. I'd have to wait 5 or 10 seconds for the brakes to release. I replaced the rubber lines by the front discs and the problem was gone. The rubber likely deteriorated, and debris clogged the line, kinda like my arteries after eating a Big Mac. Good luck.

You could be developing a blockage in your brake lines. I had an Astro van that did that. I'd have to wait 5 or 10 seconds for the brakes to release. I replaced the rubber lines by the front discs and the problem was gone. The rubber likely deteriorated, and debris clogged the line, kinda like my arteries after eating a Big Mac. Good luck.
Sry I missed Diagnosed it was the rear brakes locking up, Found that the emergency brake assembly was missing and for some reason that was causing it to lock.I have since replaced the pieces in each side and so far so good

-
Back