73 duster front tire suggestions needed

-

flathead31coupe

Reaction score
I currently have old style Mickey thompson indy profile g60 14 on the front.and I will be running a 15x10 l 60 on the rear... The front tires are pretty wide.That's on there now.What would be a good tire to replace those with. After looking into it it turns out that particular tire is equivalent to a 235/60/14.. It is a wide tire it doesn't hit anywhere I'm just trying. Figure out a good replacement.

Last edited:
BFGoodrich Radial T/A | RWL | 225/60R15 95S

225/60-15 is as good as you’re going to get with any Chrysler wheels. Other wheels and specs may allow more. I don’t know of many other options that get better than that at 14/15”.

I have those, 15x7 Rallyes, and 1.03 t-bars on a 73 Duster with stock brakes. On hard cornering the outside tire will kiss the fender trim.

225/60-15 is as good as you’re going to get with any Chrysler wheels. Other wheels and specs may allow more. I don’t know of many other options that get better than that at 14/15”.

I have those, 15x7 Rallyes, and 1.03 t-bars on a 73 Duster with stock brakes. On hard cornering the outside tire will kiss the fender trim.
Thanks for the reply.I was just curious about what tire I should put on the front and I was just explaining that that is what is on there now Those older indy profile sixties look wider than most rear tires today

Is it just a matter of preference on front tire?Size or is wider better.I never really thought of it.I'm not road racing or racing of any kind.Just want to replace the front tires with something but I don't knowIs it just a matter of preference on front tire? Size or is wider better. I never really thought of it. I'm not road racing or racing of any kind. Just want to replace the front tires with something but I don't know what.lol

I ran 235/60/14 on my first duster years ago, they were mounted on ralley rims.
No rub, complete stock suspension.

For long tread life, I run 235/60-14s on a 7.5" wheels at 28psi. Nice ride, and reasonably stable cornering around town, once you get used to the sidewall roll.
------------------------------------------------

On the back I run 295/50-15s on 10s, but the wheels are not quite wide enough. For long tread life, I have to run down at 24psi.
Again, nice ride, but it took a lil getting used to how they corner when pushed.
----------------------------------------------
BTW
The 60s Nomenclature was that a G had a tread width of 8.25 inches. This does not translate to metrics which are a profile measurement.
Depending on your wheel width, a G could be any profile width from 8 to about 11inches.
At 8 inches it would be a 225,
But at 10.75 it would be a 275.
The factory wheels on 340 cars was a 5.5Rally. This will accept a metric tire of around 205 to 225, with the sweet-spot being a 215
For freedom from wandering, the tire height should be very close to the factory height.
340 cars wore E70-14 which has a theoretical height of around 24.5 inches, and so the tire becomes 205/65, or a 215/60, or a 225/55
If you don't have a 5.5 wheel, then none of this is correct.

If your current 235/60-14s are wearing nicely across the face of the tread, then take one off, lay it flat, and measure across the profile. Convert the standard measurement to metric, and that is what you want to purchase. Say you measure 9.25 inches; then
9.25 x 25.5(the conversion factor)= 235.
the minimum wheel size is 70%, and a typical best performance wheel-size is 85%, so then your wheel size should be from 6.5 to 8.0, making 7.25 the sweet-spot. So then pick whatever gets you closest to a 24.3 tire height.
I'm not sure if you can run a 14x8" wheel on a 73, @ zero-offset. That would be a back space of 4.5, and Ima thinking a 14 inch steel wheel, will rub on the UBJ, and/or tear the clip-on wheel weights off. At least, on my 68 that is what happened. which is why it now wears 7.5s.

For long tread life, I run 235/60-14s on a 7.5" wheels at 28psi. Nice ride, and reasonably stable cornering around town, once you get used to the sidewall roll.
------------------------------------------------

On the back I run 295/50-15s on 10s, but the wheels are not quite wide enough. For long tread life, I have to run down at 24psi.
Again, nice ride, but it took a lil getting used to how they corner when pushed.
----------------------------------------------
BTW
The 60s Nomenclature was that a G had a tread width of 8.25 inches. This does not translate to metrics which are a profile measurement.
Depending on your wheel width, a G could be any profile width from 8 to about 11inches.
At 8 inches it would be a 225,
But at 10.75 it would be a 275.
The factory wheels on 340 cars was a 5.5Rally. This will accept a metric tire of around 205 to 225, with the sweet-spot being a 215
For freedom from wandering, the tire height should be very close to the factory height.
340 cars wore E70-14 which has a theoretical height of around 24.5 inches, and so the tire becomes 205/65, or a 215/60, or a 225/55
If you don't have a 5.5 wheel, then none of this is correct.

If your current 235/60-14s are wearing nicely across the face of the tread, then take one off, lay it flat, and measure across the profile. Convert the standard measurement to metric, and that is what you want to purchase. Say you measure 9.25 inches; then
9.25 x 25.5(the conversion factor)= 235.
the minimum wheel size is 70%, and a typical best performance wheel-size is 85%, so then your wheel size should be from 6.5 to 8.0, making 7.25 the sweet-spot. So then pick whatever gets you closest to a 24.3 tire height.
I'm not sure if you can run a 14x8" wheel on a 73, @ zero-offset. That would be a back space of 4.5, and Ima thinking a 14 inch steel wheel, will rub on the UBJ, and/or tear the clip-on wheel weights off. At least, on my 68 that is what happened. which is why it now wears 7.5s.
Thank you

You can go narrower, but not much taller depending on the rim width. And skinnies are basically a preference, for looks, or low rolling resistance on a drag car. Frankly, not a great idea on a car that might need a panic stop on the street.
If the 235s don't rub anywhere, I'd keep em
(and 235s are only one size smaller than the biggest 14"tire easily available at this time. 14s are almost gone).

Im running 235/60/14 on all four corners of my Scamp. Have been for over 16 years on stock 14x6’’ rallye rims.
IMG_6810.jpeg

-
Back