'74 Cuda Tooling Proof 4 Sale (see voting poll)

What do you do with a '74 Cuda tooling proof car?

• revive it as a showroom new '74 Cuda

Votes: 24 24.0%
  • make a race car

Votes: 13 13.0%
  • save it as an investment

Votes: 42 42.0%
  • turn it into a fish tank

Votes: 21 21.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
-
Status
Not open for further replies.
i remember seeing this a while back.

if i had 22,000 to spend on a car , it certianly wouldnt be on that lol

if someone gave it to me, i would build it and drive it

Cool car.The article was cool.Basically,bought as a body in white,to become a racecar.I.i.r.c,car was picked up,from Ted Spehar's shop.

Why is it a rolling chasis in some pictures and on a skid on others?

DESCRIPTION

- 1 of none shouldn’t even exist. Has lines scribed every 5" horizontally and vertically, including the engineers hand writing on the car that was used by Chrysler to setup the assembly line for the Cuda. Was then slated to be destroyed but by luck, a well known racer needed a "body in white" A.S.A.P so the body in white was released to Spehars Performance as a body in white and sent to UAL chem corp. to be acid dipped
- The well known racer Dick Landy found and chose a Dart body instead so it was never acid dipped. Preserved in time
- Mopar Action just did a 4 page story
- Tooling proof body
- Sold by Spehars Performance as a "body in white"
- Never acid dipped
- Basically a NOS body
- 1 of none
- Inner fender tag reads "1974 tooling proof body" still have the original Bill of Sale with it
- Mopar muscle already did a 2 page story

http://mecum.com/auctions/lot_detail.cfm?LOT_ID=SC0511-107301

SC0511-107301_1.jpg

I found the story behind it.

One of None: 1974 Plymouth Barracuda

Found 202 days ago
one-of-none-1974-cuda.JPG

UPDATE 2/17/12 – The auction did not meet reserve at $9,600 with 20 bids.
This 1974 Plymouth Barracuda may appear to just be one of the countless unfinished project cars out there, but it is actually the original tooling proof used by Plymouth to produce the Cuda. It is a miracle that the tags have not been swapped out and the body fitted in place of a rusty donor. That’s not saying that there haven’t been a few build attempts, but the car remains unscathed. Find it here on eBay with bidding at $7,600 reserve not met.
one-of-none-1974-cuda-fender.JPG

If you look closely you can make out the grid and markings used during production. Usually these bodies were destroyed after their purpose was fulfilled, but somehow this one escaped the factory. It was shipped to Dick Landy to be used as a drag racer. Dick sent it off to be acid dipped, but in the meantime found the Dart he was looking for. The Cuda was forgotten and ended up sitting in the corner of Val Chem’s shop.
one-of-none-1974-cuda-body.jpg

A year later a Chrysler employee was looking for a donor to build his dream Cuda. He ended up finding this body and started piecing it together. Family events and health problems halted his plans and he ended up selling the car to a friend who parked it. There is sat until just last year when the next owner decided that the car deserved to be returned to how it left the factory. He actually stripped off many of the parts that had been added.
one-of-none-1974-cuda-tag.jpg

This Cuda should be no stranger to Mopar fans. It went to auction through Mecum where it did not meet reserve at $20,000 and it was also recently featured in Mopar Muscle magazine. It will be interesting to see what eventually becomes of this special car. The current seller believes that it is a piece of muscle car history and should go into a museum, but we can help but wonder if the third build attempt may be a charm.

http://www.barnfinds.com/one-of-none-1974-plymouth-barracuda/

What a great piece of Mopar history there.
That car should actually be in a museum, and preserved as well as kept properly as is for future generations to see.
Remember, it's the only one left.

It needs to be saved. Hard to believe it wasn't scrapped after all tooling was done. This is a more than rare piece of automobile history. Let's not forget, the X cars, prototype cars were almost always crushed after the expos. If they would crush them, just think how special this is. How much did the Ghost Car just sell for?

as one of the building coordinators for the Mecum auction it was in my area. It is a cool piece of history

But since it went thru the 2011 auction and didn't come up with the money there must be a lot of MOPAR people that don't see it as worth the money the current owner wants.

Still for sale, it would be a great body to acually build a new Cuda out of, only someone with really deep pockets would let it sit as is for a show piece. It needs to be kept in a climate controled space to preserve the body in it's current condition

For $22,000...seems like you should get the wooden dolly it's sitting on!

It also seems like it should be donated to the Walter P. Chrysler Museum.

If i had $22K laying around I would buy a running/driving 74 Barracuda.

Paul

I didn't vote because my choice wasn't an option. I think it should be put in the transportation muesum at the Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C.

Does it even have a vin #? Not sure it could be registered to put it on the street.

The article I read from a few years ago said it it had been stripped of its glass and such and showed it as a roller.
Now it's not a roller and the price? From $30K to $22K.

The article also said that a doner (Their spelling, not mine) had donated among other things...a VIN plate.

That right there makes me question the legitimacy of it, and the whole thing sounds sketchy. If it was worth much, Steven Juliano would own it.

If I had 20+k laying around I sure as hell would not spend it on that thing. 1 of none, blah blah blah. Only worth what someone is willing to pay, no matter how "cool" it is. And pretty obvious no one thinks it is worth what its current owner does.....

If I had 20+k laying around I sure as hell would not spend it on that thing. 1 of none, blah blah blah. Only worth what someone is willing to pay, no matter how "cool" it is. And pretty obvious no one thinks it is worth what its current owner does.....

X2. As an electronics freak, I've noticed on ebay, "unbuilt" Heathkits go for BIG money. So what do you do? You put the cardboard box full of parts on the shelf and LOOK at the box, because the moment you put the kit TOGETHER it is instantly worth a fraction of what you paid for it!!!!!

Yes,it should be there.Last"1 of it's type" should be in mind.These,don't hang from trees.

Should go to a museum.

No legitimate way to register it, it doesn't have a VIN. And a single VIN plate won't do the trick, it won't have VIN numbers anywhere, all of the normal locations for VIN stamping will be blank. And of course, even if you did basically "re-body" the thing, well, it just became that other car, and the history of the body is negated.

Building it would be a waste even if you could get it registered legally, because at that point its just another '74 Barracuda.

Definitely a cool piece, but pretty useless to anyone other than a museum. Owner should donate the thing and use it as a tax write-off, probably the only way he'll see anything close to what he's asking for it.

If its pristine and legit as presented, there is a company
in California that laser scans and is able to reproduce whole
cars or any part thereof in minute detail from the measurements.

I think in should be bought and scanned so it could be reproduced
like the camero bodies.
It would be worth more as reproduction parts than the raw body.
I'm suprised year one or china hasn't bought it and repoped them.

Should go to a museum.

No legitimate way to register it, it doesn't have a VIN. And a single VIN plate won't do the trick, it won't have VIN numbers anywhere, all of the normal locations for VIN stamping will be blank. And of course, even if you did basically "re-body" the thing, well, it just became that other car, and the history of the body is negated.

Building it would be a waste even if you could get it registered legally, because at that point its just another '74 Barracuda.

Definitely a cool piece, but pretty useless to anyone other than a museum. Owner should donate the thing and use it as a tax write-off, probably the only way he'll see anything close to what he's asking for it.
Simple to register! At least in NC. If you went through all the trouble to make it a drivable car. You just register it as a Cuctom and NC issues a serial #. I don't understand why it wouldn't be the same deal in any state but I won't argue that point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back