74 Dart 360 Sport

-
Ok so I realized unhook the vacuum advance off the distributor bam idles fine perfect. Either timing gun is nuts or it wants to run 60 over. I know when I first started it I set at 10 degree but was a ***** getting it to idle. Now it does just fine and it's no longer rich. I know I need that vacuum hooked up with mechanical working together. Found a pin hole old heater hose. What idiot reused that old hose! Lol. It's an HEI s ok I need to call them to understand kinda wishing I did the dyno now this would have been ironed out by now. But I am learning and I understand my car now. This was part of why I did this. Oh yeah screw that Lokar kickdown that stuff is junk I hate it. Nothing but a fight. All-star bracket is nice.

IMG_20230502_195504_01.jpg

So I have read that total timing on a HEI is 60 this cannot be right out of the box. I had set it at 10 so I thought but will only idle if vacuum is unplugged from distributor. At my wits end on this final crap here about to take it some where if need be. Basically I cant seem to get the timing right with vacuum connected, it idles fine with it disconnected now so I think I can hook it up little worried it will go back to running way rich and fuel wash my stuff ruin it.

Got my brain right back at 10 degrees timing at idle. Just need to get the HEi vacuum advance set right and should be good. You all think I should do my own windshield and seal? I don't the 135 is an unfair price installed agreed?

Little more tinkering done today and got idle adjustment screws right. Will check one more time make sure timing is happy put some miles on the car. Plan to order a lower thermostat it's just a bit on the high side at 195. With my cam vacuum advance is a no go so will leave that plugged. Maybe change to a different MSD later as I want a rev limiter but OMG will it rev and Jesus that's addictive. Rear gears I'm ordering doing 3.55.

Changed out the thermostat to a 180 degrees now running about 190 to 185 degrees. I then checked timing holding at 10 degrees. I then ran up to 4000 rpm I'm at 29 degrees so seems like distributor is doing its job with mechanical advance. Seems to fall on it's face a bit right now need to adjust my kickdown as I know that's part of it. The rear gears also are factoring in pretty sure.

Drove some more tonight and mashed it down first gear to about 4500 and hit 2nd with great big smile. I'm the asshole driving 90 mph no windshield LMAO. Yes I'm getting it in this week and working on the little stuff now get my AC lines finished up and hooked up. I can say that big cam is a lot of fun and while I didn't build it to drag race rolling starts are going to be fun.

I also corrected my tach wire tonight and reran it and wrapped in copper tape and ground that then cover in rubber 1/4 vac hose. Issue fixed for tach do the speedo next and we're good.

So I pulled the broadcast sheet out last night. I have a D52 rear end code. 8.25 with a 2.94 gear. For sure a 3.55 is getting ordered today. I also managed to get speedo cable out and ran shielding. Live and learn should have done this to start with. Next time I will be a lot more careful doing my wiring and when I think maybe I should I will!

Last edited:
So I pulled the broadcast sheet out last night. I have a D52 rear end code. 8.25 with a 2.94 gear. For sure a 3.55 is getting ordered today. I also managed to get speedo cable out and ran shielding. Live and learn should have done this to start with. Next time I will be a lot more careful doing my wiring and when I maybe I should I will!
3.73’s!

Well rats I haven't been getting notices of your posting so I haven't noticed you driving it... I'm a big proponent of the 355s it's the very nice medium gear... If you look at threads asking for the best of both worlds it's the one that comes up 80 to 90% of the time....

Took my Dad for a spin last night he would have been 35 when sold this new in the lot. Was always bringing cars home. Loved the big two door Sebrings. Being a Chrysler Plymouth dealership every now and then a Mustang or Challenger couple Corvettes. He had a big old grin and it was like my car was waiting for Dad it woke up chirped tires broke loose and downshifting like it should. Odd how they just sort of start coming together on their own.

Took my Dad for a spin last he would have been 35 when sold this new in the lot. Was always bringing cars home. Loved the big two door Sebrings. Being a Chrysler Plymouth dealership every now and then a Mustang or Challenger couple Corvettes. He had a big old grin and it was like my car was waiting for Dad it woke up chirped tires broke loose and downshifting like it should. Odd how they just sort of start coming together on their own.
I've had this happen before where it takes a couple miles to get the transmission fluid to settle in...

Little more tinkering dialed in lot better 18 degrees timing wow.... So I did it in two degrees increments. This is where it's really happy now all in is 4000 rpm about 34 degrees. No popping no back firing not rich smells like it should. Not flooding out or hard to start warm or cold now. NO Pinging. Met the gentleman "Demon499" in my neighborhood that has a Dart Sport yellow 408 and a really awesome 500 cube demon drag he is building tubbed amazing car. Cool to have someone on site with same cars as me, that knows way more than I do!!!

Last edited:
Installed the Quick fuel fuel pump and a fuel regulator. I also filled it up with 93 octane running great very happy way we're going now.

IMG20230521153502.jpg

Little more goofing around driving tonight. One of the things I'm having a hard time with is tuning this beast. That big cam and my lack of experience makes it difficult to know a miss or timing off. Still think it may need more advance some back fire tail pipe cold and startup around 2000 RPM. Runs decent enough feel like leaving some power on the table. May advance a smidge more or only change distributor curve come in sooner part of issue may be just that and not initial timing. For some reason looking at chart stock silver springs it's 3500 I think that is to low and should be sooner at like 2500 RPM. One silver and black should get me there. Two black maybe to much to soon. Cam says 2500 to 6400 so I think that's the tell all.

IMG_20230522_233000_01.jpg

Little more goofing around driving tonight. One of the things I'm having a hard time with is tuning this beast. That big cam and my lack of experience makes it difficult to know a miss or timing off. Still think it may need more advance some back fire tail pipe cold and startup around 2000 RPM. Runs decent enough feel like leaving some power on the table. May adva
ce a smidge more or only change distributor curve come in sooner part of issue may be just that and not initial timing. For some reason looking at chart stock silver springs it's 3500 I think that is to low and should be sooner at like 2500 RPM. One silver and black should get me there. Two black maybe to much to soon. Cam says 2500 to 6400 so I think that's the tell all.

View attachment 1716093275

Try one light spring and one medium..

Ordered an HEI recurve kit so I get all the springs and can play with settings on it. Ordered new transmission lines why not rest is pretty she deserves them! Also ordered a new Brake master cyclinder mad I have to touch up paint under it sigh goofed it up. Flipping thing leaked oh well 15/16 time.

Rear gears will come I would rather do when its colder out! 3.55 still maybe but I wanna make sure that's what I want gas mileage is awful thats the recurve will fix that. Not by much thirsty car lol! I also gotta hook up the AC and its about to get hot out.

Ordered an HEI recurve kit so I get all the springs and can play with settings on it. Ordered new transmission lines why not rest is pretty she deserves them! Also ordered a new Brake master cyclinder mad I have to touch up paint under it sigh goofed it up. Flipping thing leaked oh well 15/16 time.
I like to get a new master cylnder so I can paint it before it gets fluid on it...

Vacuum advance is now hooked up and working as expected. I will still change HEI advance silver spring for one gold. Which will bring in more timing sooner. Vacuum advance helped off the line as well with studder off the line. With new gears this will be a really fun car. Starting to want to break tires loose as well now. So all the driving is breaking her in. Nothing brutal just nice drives heat cycling running it up and down a bit.

-
Back