74 Duster won't start

-

fredsmopar

Reaction score
I have a 74 duster, a 340 was put in it. Car wont start, or crank. Replaced starter relay, no luck. Any ideas?

Make sure your engine is grounded to the fire wall , and a ground from your - battery to your radiator support or inner fender, This is a must do.
Hope this helps

i would try challengergary and memikes first if not one of those check the fuseable link in the harness on the wheel well, i had the same problem on one of my 71's and that is where it was but you need to make sure it will bump over first

Sit down, buckle the seat belt, and see what happens. '74s had the accursed seat belt interlock that wouldn't let the engine crank without buckling up first. There is a sensor on the seat bottom springs. Unplug them and that should take care of the problem if that's it. I unplugged the sensors on my '74 Charger before I drove it off the dealer's lot.

I thought the negative battery terminal went to the block AND the chassis. I just had an Issue with a Phord that wouldn't start and it was the connection to the engine block that was coroded and wasn't allowing the current flow to the starter.

-
Back