'74 Valiant no power

-

swissvaliant

Reaction score
Hello everyone. i own a 74' plymouth valiant which was produced in switzerland (schinzach).

Today I replaced the speedometer cable. after a short test drive, smoke suddenly came out of the middle of the dashboard. I then unplugged the battery and looked under the dash for a moment and didn't see anything obvious. however, neither the light nor the ignition or anything else works.

checked the cables and noticed that two cables on the negative pole of the voltage display are burned through. I have renewed the connections and checked the fuses. unfortunately I still have no electricity.

Do you have a tip what else I could check?

thank you for your help!

greetings
Pascal

Time to remove the instrument panel and start investigating.

Check the connections on the amp gauge. It's in close proximity to where you were messing around. Loose amp gauge connections cause the issues you're having.

Thx for the answer! With voltage display i mean the amp gauge :) those connections have been replaced

On the engine side of the firewall, there are 2(?) Fusible Links in the form of wires, tagged, down by the thru-firewall connection block.
They're protection for everything on the other side of the firewall.
If you pull on them gently, a blown one will stretch and pull apart.
Should be replaced with similar from auto supply store.
They can be temporarily twisted back together .
Good Luck .

Thx for the answer! With voltage display i mean the amp gauge :) those connections have been replaced
Right. But power has to pass through the gauge. If the gauge is fried, you'll still have no power. Also, what inertia said. Good luck!

-
Back