742 pinion sleeve

-
The 742 does not use a pinion sleeve like the 489 or 741 case so you cannot buy it anywhere. The 742 pinion bearing preload is adjusted by shims only.

I'm not understanding this. How is this possible? Anyone know where I can find a service manual for this diff. Not trying to say your wrong but I'm confused how that would work.

The 742 pinion has a "step" that you shim on top of between the outer pinion bearing and the step for bearing preload. You also use shims under the inner bearing to set "depth" on the ring for pattern. If you are swapping gears I would use the shims from the old set as a starter.
F26834961

I see, I didn't realize there was a step on the pinion. I was going to swap in a cone style from a 741 case and then sell the assembly but i think it might be better for me to just sell the 741 setup compete and then sell the 742 housing.

Why do you want to sell the 742 housing just because it doesn't use a solid shim? In essence the solid spacer that is present in a 741 and you buy to install in a 489 is made onto the pinion so in the end it's no different from the others mechanically (other than the bearings it uses) and a cone style sure grip will fit just the same because the pinion has nothing to do with the sure grip

Why do you want to sell the 742 housing just because it doesn't use a solid shim? In essence the solid spacer that is present in a 741 and you buy to install in a 489 is made onto the pinion so in the end it's no different from the others mechanically (other than the bearings it uses) and a cone style sure grip will fit just the same because the pinion has nothing to do with the sure grip

Oh no, I get what your saying, I'm just thinking it'll be easier to sell both housings and just buy one from Cass. My wife says i can't buy one from Cass until I sell what I have lol. Just trying to get the most bang for my buck. I have 2 compete 741' cases, one being a cone sure grip, I have a 742 case with caps and adjusters, and a spare 8.75 housing and axles off a b-body but with the perches at stock a-body width. I wanted to make a compete axle and sell the spare parts too. I figured the 742 would be the way to go and have more interest in.

Oh no, I get what your saying, I'm just thinking it'll be easier to sell both housings and just buy one from Cass. My wife says i can't buy one from Cass until I sell what I have lol. Just trying to get the most bang for my buck. I have 2 compete 741' cases, one being a cone sure grip, I have a 742 case with caps and adjusters, and a spare 8.75 housing and axles off a b-body but with the perches at stock a-body width. I wanted to make a compete axle and sell the spare parts too. I figured the 742 would be the way to go and have more interest in.

I gotcha. Good luck with the project

-
Back