8 1/2 " dodge rearend brake rebuild help needed

-

ratrod318

Reaction score
Hi ..I have a what i believe to be a 8 1/2 " rearend i got out an 85 dodge d 150 pick up 2 w d ..so i got a complete rebuild kid..hardware..pistons..shoes..and drums. I got the old drums off and i have to say..I need to find some instructions some ware..it has been literately 15 years since I have worked on drum brakes. So I have been looking thru this forum to try to find some instructions. If anyone has any good links I would appreciate it. Thanks

Hi ..I have a what i believe to be a 8 1/2 " rearend i got out an 85 dodge d 150 pick up 2 w d ..so i got a complete rebuild kid..hardware..pistons..shoes..and drums. I got the old drums off and i have to say..I need to find some instructions some ware..it has been literately 15 years since I have worked on drum brakes. So I have been looking thru this forum to try to find some instructions. If anyone has any good links I would appreciate it. Thanks

I am not aware of an 8 1/2 Mopar rearend. Do you have pictures of it that you can post?

Here are the identification pictures. When you identify the rearend you can probally find a good thread on it.

Attachments

• Rear end truck identification.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 539
  • rear end identification.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 815
Prolly an 8 1/4,...firstly you need to spray the brake bleeder screw and bolts on the wheel cylinder with some penetrating oil and let it sit while doin yer homework,...trust me, It'll help...got tools???

ok..its a 8 1/4...according to the chart above..I have the drums off..top springs removed and im trying to figure out about removal of the automatic spring adjustor and bottom springs that hold the shoes..any links on this would be helpfull..

ok..its a 8 1/4...according to the chart above..I have the drums off..top springs removed and im trying to figure out about removal of the automatic spring adjustor and bottom springs that hold the shoes..any links on this would be helpfull..

Spray the self adjuster while your there and back it down so you got no threads showing,...this'll help with the dissassembly...again, you got any brake tools???If not, get some from NAPA,....Brake pliers, and a hold down spring tool,...you can do It without these, but they make it alot easier,...cost about 25 bucks for these...

Yes..i have a brake tool..im just looking for a diagram for re assembly..thanks

Yes..i have a brake tool..im just looking for a diagram for re assembly..thanks

Hopefully a FABO member will be able to give you all the details you are needing.

The 85 truck rearend may not set up the same as the the car rearends when it comes to brakes. I would look and ask on one of the truck forums or get a manual. As much as I dislike Haynes and Chiltons manuals they should be good enough to do this. Have you checked your local library for a manual?

I hope you aren't planning on using this in an A-Body? It is way too wide for that.

I would not think the brakes on that thing are much different from any other self adjuster setup

I don't know where you can download a pickup shop manual, but here's a 72 Plymouth:

[ame="http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/1972%20Plymouth%20Chassis%20Serv%20Man.pdf"]http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/1972%20Plymouth%20Chassis%20Serv%20Man.pdf[/ame]

153pill.jpg

Your correct there Mr.67. They are almost identical to the brakes in my Cherokee, and my Dakota, and my Duster. If I was goin that far I'd do the axle seals as well.

thanks for the help..i have almost got one side rebuilt.I have been doing one side at a time.The image posted above is almost identical to mine

-
Back