8-1/4 aka 8.25 swap for 67 Dart

-

CultClassik

Reaction score
A while back I picked up an 8.25 axle with posi and 4.56 gears, complete drum to drum.

I'm still trying to decide if I really want to run this thing. I've heard so many people say 8-3/4 is the only way to go, but they're so hard to find for an A body. This thing will never run tons of power or anything more than street tires most likely, I'm pretty sure it will be ok since it was used without issue in a fairly serious Duster drag car before I got it.

Anyway, if I do use this I want to make sure I have everything lined up and ready to go. I'd like to do the inboard spring kit at the same time. So, please add to my list if I'm missing anything:

BBP wheels

U-bolts (where to order?) the holes on the 7-1/4 shock plates?

Driveshaft (are U-joints different between 7-1/4 and 8-1/4?)

Assuming chassis to axle brake hose is the same?

Offset shackle/hangers (Mopar or Dr Diff?)

Gears...I'm going with 3.55 most likely. Any helpful links on swapping gears in this axle? I may attempt to do this myself if it's not too bad.

I think with street tires you'll be fine as long as you don't have wheel hop issues.

U bolts: find a place local that does truck leaf springs and 4x4 stuff or summit, jegs, etc..
Shock plates: different from 7 1/4 to 8 1/4, the bolt holes wont line up with the 3" U bolts
Drive shaft: needs to be shortened 1 1/2"
U joint: same from 7 1/4 to 8 1/4
Brake hose: should be the same

I might be wrong but I think the brake hoses are different. The 8.25 hose has the Tee block made on it.
3 inch U bolts can be found on ebay for around 35.00.

Thanks guys. I'm looking at a good deal on a set on used gears...what's everyone's opinion? They look good but I'm wondering it its worth saving some dough over just getting new ones?

If you don't mind my adding to your questions....

Will the emergency brake cables (which are about 3-4" longer) work or do we need to change them out for the cars originals? I am working with a 66 Barracuda and a 73 duster rear.

BTW: the brake hoses are different but the newer work. It is just a different junction block bolted to the rear.

I haven't even looked at the ebrake stuff. I've got the cables from the 8-1/4 also, but not sure what to do there. Thanks for the brake hose info!

I went from 7 1/4 to 81/4 on my barracuda 67. 81/4 came out of 74 dart and it had two seperate e brake cables I only hooked up one. I have never had to use an E brake for anything. Hope i never have to.

-
Back