8.25 axle strength

-

71DartGuy

Reaction score
I've been reading a lot of articles/posts on this subject so I figured I would come her to find out for sure. Will and 8.25 rear, behind a 350-375 horse small block and 727, hold up with sensible driving. Well, sensible relatively speaking-hah. I dont plan on racing the thing at the track and will be running regular old BFG radial T/A's.

i plan on putting a suregripped 8.25 behind my 400 hp motor so i certainly hope so. I heard from many sources that it should handle 400 and know some run consistant 12 second passes on an 8 1/4

Yes, it will be fine for that application. '73 340 cars came with 8 1/4's and I have a '77 BB Cordoba with one from the factory.

Chuck

Chap here running a Dart with a 360, eddy heads, air gap etc. Car runs 12.88 at the last run I went two. Don't know what he did, but before that it was in the 13.80's. Really a consistant running car/driver. Races it I guess just about every race. Does not run slicks though. Don't remember the brand, but think it was some of those Mickey street tyres. Anyway, has a 8.25 under it and says he has been running it that way for years. Car has full interior etc. and I didn't see any things done to lighten the car any.

I suppose it really comes down to condition of the rear end. As long as the internals are in good shape and as per spec then I would see no reason why not.

When I looked around the info I was getting was that the 8.25 would handle a healthy small block (think someone even had an article posting somewhere that said 500 hp or some such), but the big caveat was to not use slicks.

I'm sure they will chime in again.

Cheers

I've been beating on my 8.25 for 12 + years...

slicks the last 2 years and 1.74 60' times - 12.56 runs on it and all

never had a stregnth issue...

as long as its a sure grip and in good condition your good to go

you know when they are starting to go bad when one slick spins and the other dont...

-
Back