8.25 install questions

-

freakoweirdo

Reaction score
hi,, the old 7.25 is thrashed and coming out of my 67 cuda. I found a COMPLETE 8.25 setup with leafsprings, hangers, u bolts, etc. It came out of a 74 Dart.
I want to install this into my cuda so I have several questions:
1)will the 8.25 leaf springs bolt right up into my car??
2)will i need to adjust the pinion angle?? and if so where do i get the shims??
3) the 8.25 picked up the big b-body 11 inch drum setups along the way, is e-brake cable hookup going to be a possibility??
4) will a body 14 inch 5 on 4.5 rims fit over these brakes??
thanks in advance,
neal

You know.. i can only asnwer a few. but what i do know is your good to instal it as is.. the leafs will bolt right in.. they did in my 66 vally had 10" drums mind you but my larger rims have lots of room. i think my ralleys fit over them.. and i think b bodies had ralleys too now that i think about it.. so they should.. also no shimming required. its a pull out push in process.
with the e-brake i didnt hook mine up.. i think our brake cables are a little different and maye an inch or two shorter because of that..
i havent hooked mine up yet. but i dont see why you couldnt change the shoe spreader to work in your application. im just giong to get new cables since its more convienent for me to do that adn then i know it will be free and i can make it work.

I hope this helps and i welcome suggestions to correct me on what i didnt know about the brakes... mind you i did this swap last month!

Cerwin

You know it's odd. I went from a 7.25 to a 8.75 with large
C-body brakes and had no problem that I could remember.
That was 9 years ago and I'm not as young as I was.

I always remember the things that was hard for me to do.
The brakes hold real well though.

I have the 14" rallys, 5 on 4.5 on mine

just use the shock plates from the 8.25, and ubolts, since they are a larger OD then the 7.25

DJVCUDA said:
just use the shock plates from the 8.25, and ubolts, since they are a larger OD then the 7.25

you dont wanna know how i made my 7.25 plates work!!!! :shaking2:

but yes the 8.25 plates are an ince wider.. then again you have it all assembled anyway.

Don't forget the drive shaft in your cuda will need to be shortened and rebalanced about 1.5".

I would not be suprised if the leaf springs in the cuda are a heavier duty set than what was in the Dart. My 68 Cuda had 6 leafs in each spring, all the Darts and Valients I have seen have either 4 or 5 leafs. If that is the case I would stick with the leafs in your Cuda.

actually ,t he ones that came with the dart setup are heavier, they are 5 leaf and the ones in the cuda are 4 leaf, i am going to try the 5 leafs with the 8.25 and see how she sets. this is kind of a temporary setup until i can build my 8.75 this winter and install subframe connectors.

I also have a 73 dart 4 door parts car with 318 and AC . does anybody know if this car would have bigger torsion bars than the stock 273 2 bll cuda bars??
thought if it did they might match up nicer with the new heavier 5 leafs

-
Back