8 3/4 3.90 or 4.10 suregrip

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
i know its a longshot but trying to find a good 8 3/4 center section 3.90 or 4.10 suregrip. 489 or 742 case.

got one just cleaned up and reinstalled on cleaned rear-end,spring pads will work for stock or 3/4" offset hangars.thinking on going to a dana 60 or 9" ford. make real offer, and I`ll pull it. in the tulsa area. bob

Which is the more desirable case to have?

It's kind of a toss up between the 489 and 742. The 742 has a larger rear pinion bearing for more strength but the 489 uses a larger tapered pinion shaft for more strength in that area. Only drawback to the 489 was they used a crush sleeve but that's easily remedied with a crush sleeve eliminator kit.

hey dont know if it helps but theres a guy on craigslist in ny long island under parts who has the rear your looking for I think he,s looking for 500

489 center with 391's with a clutch style suregrip. Rear is clean and original with less then 30k. Was from my 71 4spd. Demon I gave to my son. He is building a race car and using a Dana. Just thought I would throw that out there for ya.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back