8 3/4 axle doesn't want to go in

-

olddog12

Reaction score
Drivers side, no axle in the pass side at all. Been hitting it with my rubber/plastic hammer and it only wants to go in about a 1/4" on the bearing? And it was a sob to get back out too.
I must be doing something wrong or maybe I need a bigger hammer? I just dont want to damage the axle or gears.

If it matters the axle has the roller bearings not the green? bearings. The adjuster goes on the pass side too rite?

Yes adjuster on the right. Take the brake drum and reverse it with two or three lug nuts use as a slide hammer.

Sounds like you got the splines misaligned in the differential. I wouldn't recommend beating it into submission. Get the other axle in if you can, to keep it from becoming misaligned as well. You do not want to turn anything with the axles out or this can happen. Back off the adjuster just in case that's causing the hang up.

Otherwise try these suggestions...
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=313418

Just get a bigger hammer. Yeah that's it. My GAWD.

If its a sure grip, the clutches are probably misaligned. You may have to pull the third member to rectify this condition . Is the driveshaft still in the car and did it rotate ?

I ran into this once with a clutch type posi unit . It ended up being a broken axle spacer in the center of the diff . Make sure the roll pin in the button spacer that goes through the two cross shafts in the is not broken, if is you will not be able to push the axle in .

Its an open diff. and theres no drive shaft on it
When I got the rear end the housing, cone & axles were all apart from each other, the cone was complete and not apart. I put the cone in the housing as it was and slid the right axle with no problem at all with a few taps on the plastic hammer, went to put the driver side in and no go. Im just trying to get the axle in so I can move the car around. I should mention when I put the pass axle in, I put it in first and when it was in I did turn the axle a couple times.

With an open diff, this situation is all but impossible with oem parts.
I would try the other axle. If that also fails, time to drop the chunk, and pull the side gear. If it passes,there would then have to be a problem with the splines: compare the spline areas of the axles.

Open differentials do not have cones. I am confused. No big surprise there, though.

Open differentials do not have cones. I am confused. No big surprise there, though.

I read it again. I think he is talking about the races for the A7 axle bearings. I still think he needs to pull the 3rd member.

Sorry, not cone then. Chunk/pumpkin...the section the gears are bolted too is what I was trying to say.

I don't remember if I had an issue getting the axle out after installing new axle seals, but make sure the seal is far enough in so the bearing doesn't bottom out on it before going all the way in.

I suppose the housing could be bent. That would be more of an uncommon but possible situation.

I am confused by this.

Been hitting it with my rubber/plastic hammer and it only wants to go in about a 1/4" on the bearing?

Are you saying the bearing will only go into the housing about 1/4"?

I am confused by this.

Are you saying the bearing will only go into the housing about 1/4"?

Correct.

Sorry for this confusion thread :???:

I guess Im asking how hard the axle needs to be hit to get the bearing inside the housing? Obviously Im not gonna take a sledge hammer to it but maybe I need a block of wood and small ball-peen hammer?

Correct. Sorry for this confusion thread :???:

If the race isn't going into the housing, check for out of round race, burrs on the outside of the race or a burr on the inner surface of the housing.

Also as you are sliding the axle in, try rotating it slightly as it may not be lining up with the splines in the center. Check the axle splines themselves for any possible burring.

If you can, post a pic of the splines, race and housing end.

Ok so I just went and tried the adjusting axle and it will go all the way in with a few good taps of my rubber hammer on either side of the housing, the non adjusting axle is the same on both sides, the race on the bearing only wants to go in about a 1/4" easily and then gets real tight. The axle that I cant get in, on the splines you can see where the oil is being pushed down the shaft so its going into the gear properly.

Ok so I just went and tried the adjusting axle and it will go all the way in with a few good taps of my rubber hammer on either side of the housing, the non adjusting axle is the same on both sides, the race on the bearing only wants to go in about a 1/4" easily and then gets real tight. The axle that I cant get in, on the splines you can see where the oil is being pushed down the shaft so its going into the gear properly.

OK, you eliminated the housing and the splines.

Only one thing left, the bearing race on the axle. Either it has a burr on it, or it's out of round somehow.

Take a closer look at it.

If you have some emery cloth try cleaning it up some, if there is a high spot it will show itself, then you could hit it with a file to dress it up.

Well I figured out what the problem is, the plate that goes against the race that gets bolted to the housing to hold the axle in is bent. When I was hitting the end of the axle it was causing the race to go into the housing cockeyed. I was able to get the axle in using a screw driver giving it a little pry against the plate until I could get the bolts on and with the screw driver it went in quite easily.

-
Back