8 3/4 axle out of c-body

-

jysnflem

Reaction score
I'm thinking about buying a 8 3/4 out of a 1968 Fury. The car is up in the air and when I rotated the wheel the drivshaft didn't move. The opposite wheel turned but thats it. Any ideas what's broken inside that would cause that? I can get the rearend for $90.00 and would plan on cutting it down to shorten it. I'm just wondering if the third member would have major damage to not be turning the driveshaft. Jayson

Did you put the trans in neutral? Or take of the driveshaft at the rear end, and try to rotate the yoke.
If the driveshaft is blocked by the trans, and the wheel you were turning went in the opposite direction of the wheel on the other side, it means you have a non-sure-grip diff, or a sure grip that's completely worn down. If it's the first, there's probably nothing else wrong, other than probably some worn bearings.

Antoon

pumpkins are cheap, any 8 3/4 chunk will fit. 90 for the axle tubes is still pretty good and you get a mystery pumpkin with it. Be careful on the axles, if you can pull one
(easy, 5 nuts) and check it out and make sure you can do a cut on it, and its not a tapered axle, go for it. Narrowing the tubes is easy with a pipe cutter, gives a perfectly perpendicular cut, then buy some ends or go backyard and just section the tubes and weld the old ends back on. Axles are for the shop. Options are: Ford 9 inch out of a Maverick (yeah, I know...but almost a bolt in) or an 8.8 out of a Explorer and you get limited slip and disc brakes too although youll have to cut that one down too.

Thanks guys. It's more than likely an open rearend. I'm not use to being able to do that on my white Dart, but it has a Ford 9" with a posi. Jayson

-
Back