8 3/4 axle with green bearings

-

rick4106

Reaction score
We pulled the axle out of my sons dart. The axle has moser axles with snap ring style bearings. The axle bearing snap ring was against the housing, the brake shoe backing plate ,then the axle retainer over that. This does not seem correct. Does anyone know the correct order? Did any one ever had problems with this little snap ring holding the axle in place?

I,ve never had a problem with the green bearings or the snap ring.Going on my 4th year with them in my 73 D.Sport 340,4 speed.

I reworded it, first to go on the end of the axle tube is the brake backing plate then the axle goes in with green bearing and snap ring installed then the bearing retainer plate.

Maybe that is why the drum was rubbing on the edge of the brake shoes. Who has the best price on these expensive as gold bearings. Mancini has a pair for 84 but they look like the flangs is made on.

I prefer the seperate snap ring and retainer plate, sold as a pair.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSR-9400M/

The problem with this type of backing plate is if the snap ring fails the bearing the plate will not stop the bearing from coming out ward. This type I have on my car so I made a bracket to hold the bearing in. There is an other type of plate that has a shoulder that will hold the bearing from moving out as shown in 70Duster440s picture. I have never seen a snap ring failure but I have herd of a few so I came up with this idea.

Kenny

That is the same thing that worries me about the design of this bearing.But must floating wrist pins are held in by the same type of snap ring. Does anybody know the problem with the other design bearing?

That is the same thing that worries me about the design of this bearing.But must floating wrist pins are held in by the same type of snap ring. Does anybody know the problem with the other design bearing?

They are called tapered bearings, adjustable end play, I run them too. What is wrong with them as far as
I am concerned the best of the two.

When you say "other design bearing" are you referring to the other style green where the retainer plate is welded to the bearing outer race. If so it's just that, welding on bearing races sets up some real nasty stress rizers which IMO is just wrong. eg. is the outer race bearing ball groove still perfectly round or has it got high and low spots or is the track still true side to side.

Their is 2 designs of the green bearings one with the snap ring and one with a fixed retainer plate

-
Back