8 3/4 flange measurement

-

DFootCuda

Reaction score
trying to measure for disc brakes and noticed I can seat both . push 1 axle to seat on snap ring and opposite side pops out .200 . why is this happening ?

Here are photo of each side . Yukon axles , 489 case with 3:23 sure grip

1C032599-E4A6-4C67-92A4-DEE23F5EC334.jpeg

B24237F4-9DF3-4F40-94BD-296ACC676237.jpeg

F212FDD6-C6A1-472E-ABB7-BFF3800B649B.jpeg

5BA5390C-B142-4810-ABC9-643BD172E4A3.jpeg

Is it a power lock diff. Did you take the button out of your center section?

Also keep in mind that for disc brakes the axles need to be stabilized so they have basically zero in and out movement so the pads don't drag during cornering.

Glad it's that easy, could be a lot worse.

So i just need to remove that button ?doesn't look like it just falls out , anyone want to recommend a book or video for servicing a sure grip ?lol

You should be able to use a small punch and drive out the pin, I've seen 2 stiles 1 like a roll pin and the other like a hollow rivet.

You should be able to use a small punch and drive out the pin, I've seen 2 stiles 1 like a roll pin and the other like a hollow rivet.
You are ta
this is the button you are talking about ? I can just drive is out ?

0F3902B5-C501-4F19-9E1E-7CE3C6F255C3.jpeg

If it is a power lock it should look like this. or it's a cone type limited slip.
img309.jpg

Well not that ez than. I don't like that diff, they really don't lock and if it breaks traction with one wheel it's all over till you stop it from spinning and get back in the throttle. IMO If you have the green get rid of it now and get a power lock.

Well not that ez than. I don't like that diff, they really don't lock and if it breaks traction with one wheel it's all over till you stop it from spinning and get back in the throttle. IMO If you have the green get rid of it now and get a power lock.
Thanks for the advise , will look into it .

I don't know that you can run it without that piece, I tried to rebuild one one time and the cones wore into the cases, so the whole thing was scrap. Call Dr. Diff and see what he says.

I don't know that you can run it without that piece, I tried to rebuild one one time and the cones wore into the cases, so the whole thing was scrap. Call Dr. Diff and see what he says.
will do , I left it apart figuring it couldn't be that easy . lol . Thanks for all the info

Talked to Cass at Dr. Diff and ended up ordering the power lok set up . If you have wildwood brakes it turns into a bit of a CF since Wilwood doesn't use flange/plate on bearings which makes axles sit too deep . I ended up milling .150 from axle spline ends . Cass is awesome , did the math with me over the phone to determine how much to mill from axles . Hoping when parts get here I actually get this thing together . Thanks for the help brian6pac

-
Back