8 3/4 info and help

-

Daly

Reaction score
The 8 1/4 in my Duster is screwed. At some point someone lost a bearing cap and put a miss matched one in with shims between it and the bearing races. So I've decided to start looking for an 8 3/4 yo replace it. I had thought about a Fors 8.8, but decided to keep it mopar, for nothing more than resale (if I ever decide to sell).

Anyway on to the info I'm looking for. I've found a 8 3/4 housing with backing plates for $250cdn. And a complete, minus one drum, for $600cdn. Both out of 68-70 cars, the complete rear has high way gears and an open diff. Both will need to be rebuilt.
A few questions:
1. Will a 741 and 489 carrier work in the same housing. Or do they have different spline counts. I guess another part of this question is can you get the same spline counts for both carriers.
2. Will the brakes from my 8 1/4 work on the 8 3/4. I already have the 4.5" bolt pattern. I've had a few people say yes, and some say yes with a but.

There are more, I just can't think of them right now. I'll ask more as they comes to me.
I know the 68-70 b body axles are wider, which I'm ok with as the wheels sit in now as it is. And my springs are moved inboard, so I know I also have to relocate the perches.

Anyone gone this swap have any tips or info please feel free to provide. Thanks...

741, 742 & 489 cases all interchange freely with stock axles.

Yes you can use your 8 1/4" brake assemblies again if the 8 3/4" has lbp axles.

-
Back