8 3/4 Installed

-

stop the beast

Reaction score
I finally collected all the pieces and finished installing my 8 3/4 axle housing today! The chunk is a 3.91 with a clutch suregrip. Thanks, Dr. Diff. New brakes, ss lines and a firm feel sway bar went in as well. I just have to bleed the front brakes in the morning and have the drive shaft shortened this week then hopeuflly I'll be back on the road before Christmas, if I can wrestle my carb issue too.

Good to see all four feet on the ground again!

IMAG0152.jpg

Clean and hopefully leak free...

IMAG0133.jpg

Makes my old one look like a rusty toothpick

IMAG0132.jpg

Have you ever had a car with 3.91's? A little hard to get used to after driving these new cars. Great looking car with a lot of gear now!

Have you ever had a car with 3.91's? A little hard to get used to after driving these new cars. Great looking car with a lot of gear now!

Nope, both my dart and valiant had 2.76's before this. I was tempted to put in a 3.23 but the chunk I got was so clean I didn't want to replace good working parts. I guess I'll find out if I like the 3.91 first hand

Just a heads up with your d.shaft.When I put my 408/904 in my 66 Dart,I had a d.shaft from a 73 Dart sitting in the corner(from donor car)I thought I would size it up to see what needed to be lengthened/shortened?Low and behold it was a direct bolt in.I did change out the u-joints for me .489 chunk.Thought I would share.

Oh,it was a 73 Dart 318/904/7 1/4 car,the d.shaft came from.

Just a heads up with your d.shaft.When I put my 408/904 in my 66 Dart,I had a d.shaft from a 73 Dart sitting in the corner(from donor car)I thought I would size it up to see what needed to be lengthened/shortened?Low and behold it was a direct bolt in.I did change out the u-joints for me .489 chunk.Thought I would share.

Oh,it was a 73 Dart 318/904/7 1/4 car,the d.shaft came from.

Thanks, bludart! Speaking of 408/904, that's the combination I'm eyeing for my new drive train. Do you have a build sheet posted up anywhere? And what's your rear suspension / tire combo on the street? I see in your sig your in the 10's. I'm only shooting for low 12's maybe high 11's, which I think should be a mild build for a 408 in a '66 - am I right?

nice car beast, getting ready to do the samething this spring....i have 3:90 cogs in my 7 1/4 sure grip, i like the gear, that's what the 8 3/4 is getting......hope it hangs on till march.......have to hammer it every once in a while.

i've been meaning to tell u blue, really like both of them rides...killer cars...
higgs

Thanks, bludart! Speaking of 408/904, that's the combination I'm eyeing for my new drive train. Do you have a build sheet posted up anywhere? And what's your rear suspension / tire combo on the street? I see in your sig your in the 10's. I'm only shooting for low 12's maybe high 11's, which I think should be a mild build for a 408 in a '66 - am I right?
Hey Beast,I had a C-body 8 3/4 narrowed to 46 5/8(A-body housing is 52 5/8)so 3 inches off each side.For the track I have 15x15 rims with 29x12x15 slicks.I just ordered some new MT Drag radials for the street(used the 15% off Summit code)they,re 325/50/15,s.Thanks for the compliments Hollywood.8)

P.S My build is in one of the 11 sec. or 10 second combo threads.

-
Back