8 3/4 lbp axles

-

junior

Reaction score
Good Day All
I want to convert to lbp on my 8 3/4. I'm not sure but I have heard that there are axles out there that go right in and all you have to do is redrill your drums. Looking for ways to save $$$$ to spend on other parts of project so if you have cheated the almighty $$$$ on this please give me you ideas.

Thanx Larry

find a C body and take the rear axle ... all the brake components will be on the c body ... for bigger brakes plus large bolt pattern. Usually can find the whole rear axle and housing for 100 bucks.

i can shorten the axles, but it would be a re-spline. I could do it in my spare time with ease.

other option that i dont like is redrilling the flange on the axle to go to the large bolt pattern.

i think you are talking about spacers. that start at whatever bolt pattern and can go to whatever bolt pattern desired. I seen the guy selling them around here at all the swap meets i went to this summer, the idea was ok, but i have read that its a bad way to go putting unnecessary pressure on the end of the stud. I think in the end you have to get different rims to make up for the spacers thickness (backspace change) if wanting to keep the tires under the fenders

Yukon makes then for A-body rear that have the green bearings already on themm very good product.

Yukon and Moser. Also here is a great sight and a highly recommended guy.

http://www.doctordiff.com/

He can help with the rear brakes as well as the axles so you might save a bit on shipping getting everything from one source. Sells a rear disc conversion kit based on Mustang rear brakes,so you get the reliablilty of a stock brake system and replacement parts are as close as your jobber store.

C body brakes will work but it will have to be an 8 3/4 rear.Most of the later model c bodies came with a 9 1/4 which is a c clip style and totally different.

Summit also sells a very reasonably priced 4.5" pattern rear disc brake upgrade.

My choice would be the doctordiff setup for the reliability and easy parts sources.

Bears Performance is in Windsor,it,s were I got my axels made.I had some issues with getting the proper one,but in the end there in my car now.Save on shipping.$$$

Good Day
I know of Bears. What I am trying to find out is if I can buy these axles and still use the old sbp brakes and just redrill the drums

Larry

Good Day
I know of Bears. What I am trying to find out is if I can buy these axles and still use the old sbp brakes and just redrill the drums

Larry
Yes you can,but you will have to let them know what brakes your using and give measurements.Good Luck!

you can use drums and backing plates off pickups or vans. theyre cheap in the junkyard,probably 25. a side

I just did the conversion on my car and I ordered my axles from Mancinni's. They sell the Yukon axles with the green bearings. I think I paid around $200.00 when I bought them at the Mopar Nats. I got used backing plates and all of the hardware from my original 10 inch drums worked. I bought new drums from Advanced Auto Parts and I paid about $30.00each.

-
Back