8 3/4 Lower Shock Studs Bend Down

-

mario03srt

Reaction score
All,
Hi. As I continue to go through this car head to toe I'm now on to the rear end. I installed some KYB's on my 73 Dart and came to find that the lower mounting studs are angled downward. Is there any possible reason for this? The rear is a 8 3/4 with inboard 002/003 SS Springs. The shock will go on but the 2 diameters of the shock bushing and stud are definitely out of kilter, as Dad would say. Maybe some old trick from the past. I believe that this car was at least street raced but more than likely was a bracket car also.

Thanks,
Marion

like these?
s-l225.jpg

Well, those hi-jackers were often used to jack the rear sky-hi, you know; to look like a race-car. This made the rear very stiff,and transferred all the road shocks straight into the pins, for which they were never designed. And you are a witness to that.
I wouldn't spend the time to straighten them considering how cheap they are to replace. However, if you have a torch, a welder, time, and reasonable patience, have at it. Me?, I'm just old and lazy,lol. Mostly lazy.

might check the upper crossmember the shocks attach to as well. i had an e-body that was a 'air shock nosebleed' back in the day. cracked the crossmember loose on both ends. I remember thinking 80 bucks to have it welded back up was an absolute fortune...

-
Back