8 3/4 pinion angle

-

zac_F71

Reaction score
I have a 68 B body 8 3/4 that I will be having new perches welded on at 43" center to center- the pinion angle is important I know but BUT what degree should I have the welder shoot for??

I have a 68 B body 8 3/4 that I will be having new perches welded on at 43" center to center- the pinion angle is important I know but BUT what degree should I have the welder shoot for??

Your springs and suspension travel will definetely have a impact on the number, but i would think down 2 to 4 deg. would be a good starting point. Then shim afterwards if necessary. I want to see what other's say? Good luck with the project Zac, Rick

The spring perch angle and the pinion angle are two completely different things. Rob (crackedback) was just telling somebody about this the other day. Maybe he will chime in again.

The spring perch angle and the pinion angle are two completely different things. Rob (crackedback) was just telling somebody about this the other day. Maybe he will chime in again.

I was thinking about a mock up and tack situation. If the housing is off site i don't have a clue......Rob to the rescue:)

Best to get the car on the wheels/tires and mock it up so you set it right the first time. All weight in car, driver etc.

If you want to reset them to the factory location, which IMO, is not good to get a decent performance pinion down set up, then put them on so the pumpkin mounting face is 5* up. That's the factory set up. Now, I NEVER set them there on anything I build.

On a street car anything up to about 4-5* is the most you'll want. Decent performance car,2-3 is a good range that won't beat up U-joints too bad. Here's a reference for you.

http://www.rosslertrans.com/Pinion angle.htm

I see ok- full weight can't happen at the moment I don't have a engine yet.. plus I don't have a welder.. the housing will be brought to a shop and the perches welded on - all I have is a housing

I'll probably have them shoot for 2* up and shim from there.. Thanks guys! I'm put a running stock 383 in the car so for the first summer it's driven it won't see much abuse

-
Back