8 3/4 U Bolts

-

Island67DartGT

Reaction score
Does anyone know the thickness (Diameter) 1/2" or 5/8" etc... and length of u bolts when adding an 8 3/4 housing to stock springs on a 67 Dart GT? And should they also have the top rounded part flattened?
Just curious as I can have a spring shop make up new ones, but they want to know how the dimensions. Bolt thickness, threads (fine or course) and length and width.
All I know is standard size is 3"W x 7" or 8"L
I'm not sure if they can flatten the curve part as per OEM. I have no way to order Originals online so have to rely on a well known business who does brakes, suspension work.
I am trying to convert from a 7 1/4 rear to 8 3/4.
Appreciate any help.

They are 1/2 " x 20 thread. The flatten ones are the bast but if you can't find them, tighten to 45 lbs.

Not the same car but my 72 Demon with an 8 3/4 rear is 1/2" fine thread. 7" long leaving 1 1/2" below the nut under the shock plates. They were replacements when I put in new leaf springs with no flattened area on top. Not sure the flat part is needed unless you want to keep it looking origional.
YOTE

Not the same car but my 72 Demon with an 8 3/4 rear is 1/2" fine thread. 7" long leaving 1 1/2" below the nut under the shock plates. They were replacements when I put in new leaf springs with no flattened area on top. Not sure the flat part is needed unless you want to keep it looking origional.
YOTE
Thanks... I know the flat ones are original to any Mopar with 8 3/4 or Dana 60 and they do keep from crushing (denting) the housing when tightening.. But I will see if this shop can flatten them or not. Otherwise I will do as the previous poster said and just torque to 45 ft lbs or whatever required torque spec is. He runs a very reputable shop.

You can buy them on line or are you in a big hurry?
I had to set up an Ebay account. And not sure how difficult it is to get parts from the states to Canada. Costs a lot more to get them here from what I understand. I'm kinda new to this Ordering parts online thing.

Oh yeah,sorry I just noticed you were from Canada. Oh well I wouldn't worry about getting those.

You can do what I did and Find a local shop that does semi suspension parts. I took the originals down to them and they made me a new set of U-bolts right on the spot.

So how much tube crushing can occur if torqued to the proper 45 ftp ? A small amount of tube distortion/crushing would have the same position fix or bite as the OEM flat and hash produces,, Maybe more.

I don't believe that I would be concerned about it. If the tubes were that weak these cars would be setting on their differentials with the first pop of the clutch.
Yote

-
Back