8.75 Carrier #

-

ram45red

Reaction score
I'm going to a all MOPAR drag meet, show and swap meet this coming weekend at Rockingham Dragway and one of the things I'll be looking for is a 8.75 rear carrier to build in the future.All I'm looking for is just the carrier and caps.I'm building a bracket car so I'll be wanting to go spool and heavy duty with everythingelse. What numbers on the carrier should I look for at this year's MOPARS AT THE ROCK ?

I would go 489 (last three digits) it will also show a large 9 cast into the side at least mine does, because it has the larger pinion, if racing is the intent.

I'm going to a all MOPAR drag meet, show and swap meet this coming weekend at Rockingham Dragway and one of the things I'll be looking for is a 8.75 rear carrier to build in the future.All I'm looking for is just the carrier and caps.I'm building a bracket car so I'll be wanting to go spool and heavy duty with everythingelse. What numbers on the carrier should I look for at this year's MOPARS AT THE ROCK ?

I will be there with parts on Saturday. I know that I have a 742 housing but I'll have to check to see if I have a bare 489 housing

Larger front pinion bearing (by far) 741 and the 489 use the same smaller bearing. And no crush sleeve or eliminator. Case at the front pinion bearing is larger due to the bearing size. And mainly because i have a 40 yr. history with the 742.

Larger front pinion bearing (by far) 741 and the 489 use the same smaller bearing. And no crush sleeve or eliminator. Case at the front pinion bearing is larger due to the bearing size. And mainly because i have a 40 yr. history with the 742.

Gotcha, that makes sense. I have only dealt with 489 cases, I have several, maybe one of these days I'll have to look into the 742.

742 and 489 have stress risers... 741, no stress riser.

There's good with the bad.

Its not the bearing size but rather the pinion shaft size. The 489 has a tapered shaft and the 742 has a straight one. If you ask any racers they will say the 742 is stronger due to the fact that a 489 tapered shaft has more weakness due to the taperedness. Both are very strong for the street.

Pinion shaft diameter is moot point. It's not a failure point for ANY of the cases.

Ring gear and breaking the yoke off (all the same diameter) are where most failures occur. Occasionally a drivers side cap will crack.

-
Back