8.75 Sure Grip Rebuild

-

darc1722

Reaction score
I have an 8.75 Sure Grip with a 3.23 gear, that I bought a couple months ago and was told it ran fine, no issues. Well after reading several threads about installing these I've decided to have it gone through before I install it. Can someone recommend a shop or a Mopar guy within a 100 miles (or so) of Chicago that can check this out. The gear and pinion look like new, just worried about leaks, lash or slipping etc. Let me know, thanks.

I have an 8.75 Sure Grip with a 3.23 gear, that I bought a couple months ago and was told it ran fine, no issues. Well after reading several threads about installing these I've decided to have it gone through before I install it. Can someone recommend a shop or a Mopar guy within a 100 miles (or so) of Chicago that can check this out. The gear and pinion look like new, just worried about leaks, lash or slipping etc. Let me know, thanks.

Why not just put it in and run it? Why go through the hassle/expense of someone checking it for you if it's OK? Unless you want to change the gearing or something...

Leaks can only come from three things or a combination of any of these scenarios - over filling, a torn gasket or a bad pinion seal. Is there evidence of seepage around the pinion seal? Is it soaked? If not, it's fine, they all leak a little over time. Clean off all the gasket mating surfaces good and clean the threads on the mounting studs. Put a new gasket on and when you fill it up make sure that the oil just comes out of the fill hole then thread the plug in. Don't forget the Sure Grip/Limited Slip additive. You can get that at the dealer parts counter.

If you have a dial indicator with a magnetic base and stand, you can check the backlash yourself. Set it up so the dial indicator pointer is perpendicular to the ring gear teeth. Zero the dial when it touches the gear then rock it back and forth. Spec is around .008". Sans dial indicator, if you grab the gears, is there 'excessive' play? You would likely know if it's more than spec., you'd feel the thing clunking, it'd be kinda obvious.

Got an inch pound torque wrench? You can also check turning torque on the pinion bearings. Spec on that should be somewhere between 25-35 in lbs. installed in the housing with everything set up, axles inserted and brakes, wheels and tires on.

Additionally while it's out, find some yellow gear marking compound. Paint some of the teeth, turn it a few times with the yoke and see what the pattern looks like. Post a picture here and we'll let you know if it's out of whack.

As far as slippage, is it a clutch type sure grip unit? They can be rebuilt if necessary but it's probably fine.

Again, put it in and see how it is. Only real way to tell if everything is right, specs aside.

See this article for visual reference. They don't mention anything about turning torque though.

-
Back