8.8 Swap Parts Question

-

bwillaub

Reaction score
Bought a 8.8 from a local salvage yard and had it shortened by a "professional". He did a good job on it except for the part where he destroyed the perches from the shortened end. Now I need to find the perches. One is for the u-bolt and one locates the pin from the leaf springs. HELP!

I did this project myself - so I'm happy to help! I bought new mopar spring perches off of Amazon believe it or not. Simple easy - just use an angle finder on your old rear end for the correct pitch - get the spread measurement and weld em on!

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Mopar+leaf+spring+perches&rh=i:aps,k:Mopar+leaf+spring+perches
Also - I didnt reuse any of the Ford perches! Weld the new Mopar ones on. I may have reduced the centering pin diameter (cant remember that part- but I believe these particular ones are a shade too large) . I reused the Ford U-Bolts. I also reused and modified the Ford shock mount (the ubolts go thru this and holds the shock as well). I replaced my leaf springs as well. I had to grind my calipers to clear my rally wheels. Hit me up with any questions

I have one in my 55, as above. My 15" cop wheels clear the brakes no problem. I used the rear of the ford driveshaft to fabricate a new one, uses the ford large rear u joint and a mopar 7290 at the front.

I have one in my 55, as above. My 15" cop wheels clear the brakes no problem. I used the rear of the ford driveshaft to fabricate a new one, uses the ford large rear u joint and a mopar 7290 at the front.
sounds right - I remember having to get an odd U-Joint Ford to Mopar style

if i remember correctly the mopar perches have a centering hole that way too big for the springs pin.. no idea why they did something so stupid.. i'd use a different brand perch.

if i remember correctly the mopar perches have a centering hole that way too big for the springs pin.. no idea why they did something so stupid.. i'd use a different brand perch.
Probably so that you can shift the differential around a bit to makr up for the manufacturing tolerances in the car, then lock it down with the u bolts......

Probably so that you can shift the differential around a bit to makr up for the manufacturing tolerances in the car, then lock it down with the u bolts......
wasn't a big deal - I welded a regular nut in the hole - then ground it flat - then drilled it out to the correct diameter. Your welder should be able to do that easily.

or if you don't already have the perches you can buy different brand perches that actually have the proper size hole. one less thing to do.

if I remember correctly there used to be two side different size center holes one for a body and one for the others. The a body has a half inch hole. if you have a small block oil pickup tube that you're not going to use you can cut that into a couple of half inch long pieces. Tap them into the hole and on the back side of the perch mig weld them. That will adapt the holes back down to the half inch.

Also - I didnt reuse any of the Ford perches! Weld the new Mopar ones on. I may have reduced the centering pin diameter (cant remember that part- but I believe these particular ones are a shade too large) . I reused the Ford U-Bolts. I also reused and modified the Ford shock mount (the ubolts go thru this and holds the shock as well). I replaced my leaf springs as well. I had to grind my calipers to clear my rally wheels. Hit me up with any questions
I am getting ready to do an 8.8 swap as well to you recall where you found the shock mounts I cannot seem to find them online

I am getting ready to do an 8.8 swap as well to you recall where you found the shock mounts I cannot seem to find them online

I bought these from mancini. They are for 8 3/4 so you will have to enlarge the holes a-little bit as the 8.8 is 3.25 inches while the 8 3/4 is 3inches. Pretty easy to do, just takes time to enlarge the holes a bit:

Mancini Racing Shock Plate Set

Also I think there are some other options listed here from mancini:

Leaf Spring Shock Mounting Plates

Essentially any normal 8 3/4 shock mount will do, you just need to account for a little wider u bolt (1/4 inch wider)

-
Back