8.8 swap

-
We went ahead and bought a whole extra rear end while they're still reasonably priced. 109,000 miles. For parts or what ever. We needed a short axle, u joint yoke etc. Short axles are like $72 at Summit if we ever want to run the second one. Tonight we cut!

We went ahead and bought a whole extra rear end while they're still reasonably priced. 109,000 miles. For parts or what ever. We needed a short axle, u joint yoke etc. Short axles are like $72 at Summit if we ever want to run the second one. Tonight we cut!
I thought about that myself. May grab a second one now that i got new tires on my salvage yard runner and can get its inspection and registration done.

Anybody ever use shock plates by speedway motors? I was concidering these out of cost reasons. They are for a 3" axle tube, so they need to be slotted 1/16" on each end for the ford 3&1/8 u bolts.

downloadfile-10.jpg

downloadfile-31.jpg

Last edited:
I thought about that myself. May grab a second one now that i got new tires on my salvage yard runner and can get its inspection and registration done.
What did you decide about your parking brakes? Not nearly as important where I live, but was still wondering.

Heres a few pix of other folks ideas. I bought the rear for future use under my sons 69 cuda. Right now this car is just a pile of parts. The last pic the exploder cable ends were welded to MoPar cables.

49181FC_L.jpg

9544518774_c07d29fd36.jpg

10182761184_7b59085af8.jpg

c692a020be56adb5ab62ad64db7c0c6e.jpg

downloadfile-5.jpg

Thanks. Unfortunately our factory parking brake cables are junk. Going the Explorer route somehow.

I will prob go pic #5 myself.. i got a buddy in aerospace that tig welds. I would have to respectfully disagree. I dont think the mopar cables are junk. They do their job just fine with a stock drum brake rear. Asking them to fit a non stock rear brake setup is a minor setback, not an issue w the stock cable.

Last edited:
I will prob go pic #5 myself.. i got a buddy in aerospace that tig welds. I would have to respectfully disagree. I dont think the mopar cables are junk. They do their job just fine withca atock drum brake rear. Asking them to fit a non stock rear brake setup is a minor setback, not an issue w the stock cable.
Haha I probably said that wrong. By junk I mean trashed, unusable. Rusted through. Wish I could use them. But that's an idea, maybe find some new ones?

If i go this route, I will make and add a spacer here on each side. You can buy replacement cables fairly cheap. Down here in west Texas stuff doesnt rust that bad. I bought new cables for my 67 restoration even though my originals were useable. I am using those on my sons 69 and modify them to accept the disc brake setup.

Screenshot_20180225-051119.jpg

Last edited:
If i go this route, I will make and add a spacer here on each side. You can buy replacement cables fairly cheap. Down here in west Texas stuff doesnt rust that bad. I bought new cables for my 67 restoration even though my originals were useable. I am using those on my sons 69 and modfing them to accept the disc brake setup.

View attachment 1715145932
Thats my photo above. No spacer necessary. All I had to do was drill the hole a bit larger slipped right in like a champ.
20180112_180216.jpg
I just did my first ride yesterday. So far I love the swap.
20180224_114925-1.jpg

How well did the parking brakes adjust up?

I want to go this route, because your route seems the most clean and sano way to go.

Did you cut the spring down?

So far the parking brake works but I don't like how hard it is to pull the brake. The springs maybe a little heavy for hand operation vs foot operation. But before I go cutting the springs off I want to replace the brake pads and readjust. I see a lot of swaps where folks are not using those outer springs. They rely on the return springs on the shoes. That maybe the ticket for smoother operation. Good luck with your swap. Its so worth it.

My 67 is staying 8.75 with KH 10" x 2.5" finned rear drums. I built that one up and emptied my wallet to do it before i knew about the xploder 8.8 swap. I bought this one for my sons 69 notch. I figure this rear with discs and a front disc setup using M body spindles, and 11.8" cordoba rotors, 2.75 calipers and caliper brackets will probably stop on a dime.

Haha I probably said that wrong. By junk I mean trashed, unusable. Rusted through. Wish I could use them. But that's an idea, maybe find some new ones?
I may have another good used A body axle set from down here in west Texas. Nothing rusts through here. Only surface rust. I dont have an extra forward cable to spare though. PM me if interested, and i will check.

I may have another good used A body axle set from down here in west Texas. Nothing rusts through here. Only surface rust. I dont have an extra forward cable to spare though. PM me if interested, and i will check.
Thanks! That's fine, our forward cable is good. Protected by years of greasy gunk, lol. PM sent.

Good god the General Spring 33-909's are stiff as a cob. I might take a leaf or two out..................
Be advised the rear spring eye now uses a 1" bushing. Joe sent the right ones immediately. Price is right also.

Exploder parking brake cables. This is a short side with a frame grommet/clip from the long side. Why won't this work? Or leave off the grommet/clip and after installing in the bracket, put a retaining clip or shaft collar on it? Seems easy to use two short ferd cables...........

eb2.jpg

eb3.jpg

eb4.jpg

eb5.jpg

eb6.jpg

eb7.jpg

Done. Short ferd ebrake cable fix, etc.

20180311_181448.jpg

One side:

20180311_180055.jpg

Other side:

20180311_180403.jpg

Both sides. Cable through bracket attachment:

20180311_182402.jpg

20180311_182421.jpg

Not to hard to do. And the two wheel burnouts are awesome! Thanks to all who paved the way!

Last edited:
So to wrap up and see what we have in it:
$150 differential with 3.73 and track loc
$35 extra short axle
$24 spring perches
$20 457 u joint
$15 gear oil with additive
$8 collar locks for parking brakes
$0 brake pads (po was nice enough to put new pads on the disc's and parking before he wrecked)
$0 rotors (like new see above)

$252 for a good, medium duty rear end swap.
$220 and change for new bushings and leaf springs (we needed anyway) if you want to throw it in

Lessons my 17 yo learned and the fun we had:
Priceless

Last edited:
Thats a good deal. I have $300 in mine purchase price. Brakes are wasted. Need new rotors, pads etc. Rotors are $15 each for bendix rotors so no biggie. I havent put anythine else in it yet, just got the rear while the getting was good. Also bought my buddy gas for his truck to go on a 1.5 hour per way trip to get it and pull it, and bought him lunch while we were out there, so add that to the pull it price. Things are just a little more expensive in my neck of the woods as im not near the big city, but i did sell all the extra pieces i pulled with it and a spare yoke adapter. It was from a 4x4 xploder. So i made back at least my gas and lunch expendatures and had a fun day.

-
Back