8 speed automatic coming!

-
What ever happened to 3 and 4 speeds. Now there gonna be 8 speed, how long before we see 10,12 or even 14 speeds in cars.

I would love to ask one of the engineers in charge why the HELL new cars need 8 speeds. I mean for God's sake, I though 6 speeds was too many! And what's going to happen to manual transmissions? I don't think a 9-speed would be fun or easy to drive at all.

I have driven 18 speeds....

Though i also wonder why the need for a 8 speed in a car..

I can see the 8 spd in a hd p/u.... just not the car...

My wife's German SUV (her choice) has 6 that show on the dash as they change. When it goes from 1st to 2nd instead of skipping to 3rd it feels like something is wrong. We almost want to bring it in to get fixed but I guess it is normal. It's all in the name of gas mileage but I think anything over 4 or 5 doesn't feel right. 1 or 2 to get you going and one or two to put you at low RPM's is all you need.

mpg and performance!

this thing will handle 800 pounds of torque stock and has three separate planetary gearsets.
you will always have the correct gearing

That's true but these work. The weight difference, if any, is offset by also being more efficient.

thats tight! i hope it will bolt up to our small blocks and be able to run off a stand alone computer. imagine a street car with that and like 350-400 horse. you could run tall gears like 4.11 or even higher and still be lower rpms then a 5 speed manual on the freeway. or a manual valve body in one of those. i would be courious as to what the ratios are and if they start overdrive at 4th still

-
Back