833 4 speed how to hook rods back up

-

dans4door1970

Reaction score
ok. I took pictures and all but I cant get the 4speed to shift when 3 rods hooked back up. I started with tranny in neutral and thought it was right but when I went into reverse it locked up. With my shifter tabs all even and the rods attached to it, where should the 3 tranny gears be pointing on the side of the tranny. they have the rectangle bosses on them. one is closest to engine, one is on top and towards the rear of car and the third is low and towards rear of car. Another words, I'm lost at where the shifter should be and where the rods go.
Thanks. Pics would be wonderful or drawn diagrams

The #1 thing is to have the tranny in neutral. The real, for-sure neutral.
The stick Must be neutralized with a centering pin.

On a non-o/d tranny all the levers should be pointing up, and the forward levers should be parallel to eachother, such that even if they are not straight straight up, they are at least parallel to each other in neutral. None should be pointing to the front or to the rear;only upish.The reverse lever is often a little longer than any of the others, and it's mounting slot is slightly rotated.
At the tranny end;
The 1-2 rod usually enters the lever from the tranny(inboard)side, while the 3-4 rod usually enters from the outboard side.This means(IIRC) the 1-2 stud gets the lever with the largest offset.
At the stick end, I forget, but I seem to recall that they both enter their respective levers from between the levers; one stud pointing inboard and the other pointing outboard. I'm kinda guessing.
I think I got it right?

Last edited:
1& 2 point front 3&4 point front where the rods go on to the trany. the reverse point slightly to the rear. Then you should be able to turn the trany with ease.

Ok. Thanks for the help. I installed new motor mounts and a transmission polyurethane mount and the entire unit sits a bit taller, sooooo, my reverse rod which is below the tranny crossmember is now hitting the crossmember enough to not let it shift smoothly. Guess the welder gets to hit me for a bit more to alter it. Thanks again for the replys. I do have 4 gears forward now, so maybe I'll live without it. ha ha . I had a 1953 powerglide Chevy years ago that never had reverse as long as I owned it!!!

I didn't think of rubbing on the crossmember. I think I would lower that item if I could, on account of if the tranny is too high, it tends to drive the exhaust into the floorpan. And it messes with the driveline angles, sometimes creating hard-to-solve NVH issues. But whatever works for you!

-
Back