9.25 rearend question

-

74slnt6

Reaction score
hey guys, had a problem leaving work today. went to pull out of my parking spot and due to some heavy acceleration, my pinion in my 02 dodge ram 4.7 snapped off inside the yoke of the driveshaft. I was looking for a new ring and pinion set ( if the rearend is rebuildable ) and I was wondering if anyone knows if old style 9.25 ring and pinions work in the new style 9.25 housings. The only difference I see is that the new 9.25 ring has a speed sensor on it. any input is greatly appreciated

you broke the pinion or the shaft ?

The rear is rebuild-able, the ring and internals didn't change until 2011/12, the housings changed in 06/07 and you'll only see what that was when going to 4.5 and 4.8 ratios.

the ring doesn't have a tone ring, the carrier does

Ah I see. And I'm not sure it was like a hurricane when it happened and then I flat towed it home during the storm. Hope to take a better look at it tomorrow if the weather eases up. Thanks for the info though !

Oh sorry and The pinion is what broke. Solid clean brake but the driveshaft spun for a couple seconds so hopefully it's not bent

I have 2 sets of 3.55 gears out of newer trucks, if you what them, $75 free shipping. each

Ah I see. And I'm not sure it was like a hurricane when it happened and then I flat towed it home during the storm. Hope to take a better look at it tomorrow if the weather eases up. Thanks for the info though !

That's a pretty crappy time for that to happen. :banghead:

-
Back