9 inch Front Drum brakes on '69 Dart

-

Tom_K_Dart

Reaction score
Doing a brake rebuild on my '69 Dart and I have two questions regarding front drums. This is the first car I've worked on that has front drum brakes so new territory for me.

First question, is a shop press the correct way to remove the hub and studs from the drum? This car still has the right hand threaded wheel studs on the driver's side. Is that common on A body's? Here is a picture of the inside of the brake drum.

4q3evd.jpg

Second question, what is the spring that is wrapped around the outer diameter of the drum? Something I need to attach to the new drum? Never seen one of these before. Also, is that a weight on the drum? It looks similar to a wheel weight. Both front drums have them but one is larger than the other.

fxwco8.jpg

Thanks for taking a look.

Tom_K_Dart

You'll need to replace the studs if your going to change the drum. They are swedged to hold the drum on. This makes them oversize so you can't just push them out of the hub. Either grind or hole-saw drill the studs from the outside flush to hub or drill the heads off before pressing them out.

Yes, those are balance weights.

The spring was for quieting down the noise and no you do not need it.

Why did you take the hub off with the drum? They are two different parts and are not pressed together. As far as the studs from the hub goes. Yes cutting or grinding the back off is the right way. I used a hammer to get them out of mine...no problems. But to each their own.

halifaxhops If they are right hand thread why change them?

Sorry, I meant the driver's side has left hand threaded wheel studs.

Are the left hand threaded studs still available or better just to switch them all over to right hand thread?

I went all right hand, just easier in the long run.

-
Back