9 month Magnum motor swap

-

slicknapier

Reaction score
9 months ago I swapped the 5.2 motor/tranny out of a 2000 Durango. After a few hiccups in the beginning I have been absolutely thrilled with this set up. I drive the truck daily and it runs and drives great. I have the original rear end in the truck with 4.10 gears and it cruises on the freeway great. I have no idea of the mileage I get because I don't have the sensor in the rearend for the speedo. The truck isn't the most powerful thing on the road, but it starts and runs so smooth I enjoy it. Again thanks for all the help from members. Just thought I would post an update of the truck and the enjoyment I'm getting with this set up.:)

That's very interestin'. So far as power, I would think it would have "oodles," especially with 4.10

In this part of the country, you used to see a few of these surplus'd from the local USAF base at Fairchild.

Cool old truck. Do you have any pics of the engine compartment? And are you running fuel injection?
I'm thinking your mileage has had to improved a bunch with the 4sp over your old trans, especially with the 4:10's.

That's a killer truck! I learned to drive a manual in my grandpa's '63, I'd love to get a sweptline some day. The magnum swaps are the best for cruisers, I love my old c body fury with the efi magnum!

Let me re-phrase, the power is fine. When I'm pulling my little work trailer it does fine. My problem is I had a cummins in my 81 crewcab, so I guess I just got spoiled with that! Thanks for the compliments. Yes I'm using the fuel injection. I basically unbolted everything out of the Durango and straight in to my truck. I used the complete harness and everything.

I noticed it looked like you used the guage cluster too so I assumed you had FI. I really like the air cleaner, that's very retro cool to the truck's year.

I only just paid attention that it looks like you took the 'rangos key switch, did you get a security computer donor for your swap?

I can understand your comment a bit about the 318. A Magnum teen with 4.10s does fine, a 360 Mag does better, but the CTDs and 10s are complete stump pullers even without gear to them- I noticed it much more with the 10 because of my expectations. I was expected have better torque, I wasn't expecting jump as hard as a steep-geared 360 with only 3.54s in the axles.

I'm not sure if mine has the security or not? I don't think so, but I've always used the column and key. I used the Durango column so I could use the shifter and linkage because my truck was originally a push-button. I cut the steering shaft and mated it to my original steering box. Then I was completely surprised that my original steering wheel fit on the Durango column. I used as much as I could from the Durango to keep costs down. That is the Durango radiator in there as well. I still have the Durango chassis that eventually I would like to swap over the front suspension and rearend. I just have to finish my other project first.

IMG_20150812_170735.jpg

Cool trucks for sure, quick question without the rearend sensor there is no other way to pick up for a speedo signal?

When I swapped rear axles in my 99 Ram I used a Dakota Digital converter box off the the output on the transmission, works fine.

I have the torque pro app for my phone that plugs in to the obdII port. I use the gps speedometer off that..

I have the torque pro app for my phone that plugs in to the obdII port. I use the gps speedometer off that..
Planning for something similar. Without the magnum computer getting speed info, does this cause any problems with engine performance or trans shifting?

Planning for something similar. Without the magnum computer getting speed info, does this cause any problems with engine performance or trans shifting?
I have absolutely no shifting issues. I drive it everyday for 2 years now. Just sucks because I don't have a speedo.

I have absolutely no shifting issues. I drive it everyday for 2 years now. Just sucks because I don't have a speedo.
Does the GPS speedo work pretty good? Is there a wifi obd2 plug that you have had good luck with? Sorry for more questions!

Does the GPS speedo work pretty good? Is there a wifi obd2 plug that you have had good luck with? Sorry for more questions!
I was using an Elm, then connected through Bluetooth. My obdII plug stopped working, so I now just use an app that uses GPS for the speedometer.

-
Back