90 Deg Oil Filter Adapter Torque Spec?

-

bwhitejr

Reaction score
Does anyone know what the torque spec is on the 90 deg oil filter adapter bolt. The one that goes into the block? I have heard these things are prone to leaks, is that true?

TIA

bwhitejr

The paperwork that came with my new bolt and gasket set said 50 ft/lbs. After I torqued it, though, a lot of people told me to be careful, as the bolts are easy to break. everyone also said they don't need to be any tighter than you would tighten your oil filter. Luckily, mine didn't break, and I have no leaks. I think there are different bolts, though depending on whether you have the aluminum or the original cast part. Maybe others will have some input.

- la67

oh, and dont' forget the little plastic washer that goes between the adapter and the block. If you forget this, the oil will not be filtered.

I just got the new gasket from Mopar. My adaptor was leaking as well. The kit did not come with the plastic washer, it just came with on small soft gasket and the large adaptor gasket. Is the other plastic one that goes between the block and the adaptor really needed?. If so why is it not in the kit?

Mine had the gasket for the adapter to the block, and then two others; a thin metal gasket that went underneath the bolt head and one that went on the other end of the bolt (between the block and the center of the adapter). This last one was a thicker, clear/white plastic washer (not hard plastic).

You can see the two small washers in the picture (bad picture, and just an example) at this link:

http://www.yearone.com/serverfiles/part.asp?pid=P5249624&c=0&e=0&cat=1&hid=127AJ80297&trk=

I think that last washer (around the bolt between the adapter and the block) is required, because it separates the filterd oil from the non filtered oil. If you look at it and think about how the oil flows through it, you should be able to see what would happen if the washer wasn't there.

I'm using the stock cast iron adapter.

Also, It may make a difference as to what adapter you are using. I don't know about the aluminum one. And i'm not sure why it's not in the gasket kit. My kit came with a new bolt, the large gasket, and then the two small ones, one for each end of the bolt.

I have the aluminum adapter on my Cuda and have had it apart 2 times and each time after I put it together I torque it down and run it and it seems to be OK (no leak) then about a month later it starts leaking and I have to re-torque it then it seals up and don't leak anymore. I guess the gasket shrinks a little from heat.

Mine is leaking and I really dont want to pull the tbar and headers to get to it. Can you move the TTI header enough without pulling the tbar and change the gasket/ring?

Mine is leaking and I really dont want to pull the tbar and headers to get to it. Can you move the TTI header enough without pulling the tbar and change the gasket/ring?

Is it leaking bad? I had to just re-torque mine after running it awhile. That stopped the leak.

I will try and tighten a bit. Hope it doesnt break. If it does I might buy a chebby....LOL.

I cranked mine down pretty hard with a 1/2" ratchet and id didn't break. BTW: To get to it I had to use a wobble extension. A straight one hit the headers.

Buy a Chubby. Man that's a low blow:bootysha:

I cranked mine down pretty hard with a 1/2" ratchet and id didn't break. BTW: To get to it I had to use a wobble extension. A straight one hit the headers.

Buy a Chubby. Man that's a low blow:bootysha:
Just to verify, is the torque spec 50 ft/lbs....or less? It seems kinda high

I just got a gasket set that came with instructions that says 40 lbs. Avoid the plastic washers if you can...I've had 2 failures over the years. The kits with a copper washer under the bolt head are best IMHO.

-
Back