90 degree oil filter adapter

-
I have owned a few 90 degree ones. I'm actually looking to buy a couple off this guy this weekend. I've only owned the 90 degree ones. I dont think I've even seen a 78 degree one.

If you look at them there is nothing 90 degrees about them. I just bought one from a member, hopeing that a 90 degree adapter actually existed. It arrived same as mine.

closer to 90 than 45 lol your motor oil might actually be sae 29 instead of 30 too

If I may,what is the purporse of the 90 unit,my 318 has one not org I know but whats it good for? will this thing be in the way when I install headers.

Yes, it would. Be in the way. Typically on early A-bodies like my ' 65 barracuda I have to have one because there is no room to put the oil filter on with out it. And sorry to say If they are not actually 90 degree's then I really dont know what to tell you. All I know is I need one and they work for me.

closer to 90 than 45 lol your motor oil might actually be sae 29 instead of 30 too
Would you please elaborate with the sae stuff. A crossreferenced 1qt ? filter is too long and I`m concerned with a shorty filter. Im just lookng to orient a larger filter without it pointing down, and trying to catch oil from getting on headers.

I think they keep used engine oil from getting all over you when you unscrew the filter, like what happens with my 440.

I think there is some SAE leg pulling going on.

Ya, I'd say that is leg pulling. Ya know, I've never actually tried to put a little smaller oil filter on. That might do the trick as long as it is not too small.

The 90 degree oil filter adapter is used when you install headers. (not wheel well of course) I never put a set of headers on a small block without using one. I also use a 1/2 quart oil filter. Fram, Napa etc.. I change oil frequently anyway. Just thought this info. might help.

Help me to understand this 90 degree filter thing. The oil filter on my 273 runs parallel with the block as opposed to running perpindicular to the block, would the filter running parallel be the 90 degree filter?
Thanks,
Forrest

I can certainly see why you'd be confused about this.

Here's the deal:

The original (no adapter) filter screws into the block and comes to rest 90-degrees to the face of the block.

If you have a situation (like with certain headers) wherein the filter intereferes with the header pipes, you can add a "90-degree adapter" between the block and the filter.

Now, the filter is oriented with the long, curved side of the filter parallel to the block.

It's 90-degrees from stock orientation. THAT's the "90-degree" part.

Clear as mud?????? LOL!:angry7:

It was designed by the same engineering team that designed this triangle...

Would you please elaborate with the sae stuff. A crossreferenced 1qt ? filter is too long and I`m concerned with a shorty filter. Im just lookng to orient a larger filter without it pointing down, and trying to catch oil from getting on headers.

What are your concerns with a shorty filter? I ran short Wix filters for years to clear the tubes going to the sidepipes on my daily driver 73 Scamp with a 360. It was the only thing that would fit.

I can certainly see why you'd be confused about this.

Here's the deal:

The original (no adapter) filter screws into the block and comes to rest 90-degrees to the face of the block.

If you have a situation (like with certain headers) wherein the filter intereferes with the header pipes, you can add a "90-degree adapter" between the block and the filter.

Now, the filter is oriented with the long, curved side of the filter parallel to the block.

It's 90-degrees from stock orientation. THAT's the "90-degree" part.

Clear as mud?????? LOL!:angry7:

It was designed by the same engineering team that designed this triangle...

That helps, thanks. It was the explanation I was hoping for 'cuz I want to hot rod my 273 and get some headers in there somewhere.
Thanks Again, Forrest

What are your concerns with a shorty filter? I ran short Wix filters for years to clear the tubes going to the sidepipes on my daily driver 73 Scamp with a 360. It was the only thing that would fit.
Well it`s the only thing that fits mine also, but if these adapters were at a true 90 degrees a factory size would work. 8) I`m just curious what all adapters were available, if any. And have not noticed any cars with filters coming directly off block. That would seem a very large diameter filter. I have been using shortys for years, but had a weird experience of pressure loss, but synthetics were in the picture. Removed syn. oil, install new shorty, reg. oil, and got my pressure back. scarey:-D

Is their really such an animal? Mine shoots off more like 78 degrees.:read2: Not a true 90 degrees

I know what you mean about the right angle filter adapters. I`ve seen the 78* version you`re referring to, it should be more like an acute angle filter adapter. I believe my`67-273 had that one on it. There are several versions of right angle adapters, some iron, some aluminum, another is indexed to fit into a notch on the block. A trip to Carlisle or another big Mopar swap meet should net you any kind you want.

I know what you mean about the right angle filter adapters. I`ve seen the 78* version you`re referring to, it should be more like an acute angle filter adapter. I believe my`67-273 had that one on it. There are several versions of right angle adapters, some iron, some aluminum, another is indexed to fit into a notch on the block. A trip to Carlisle or another big Mopar swap meet should net you any kind you want.
Thanks, so there is other adapters, huh. That would be interesting, to see pics. Maybe I`m anal, but MA, designed their LAs to have 5qts of oil, not 4-1/3 qts. I would just feel better with the full 5.8) I`m with you, I think we should start calling these things, acute angle filter adapters:-D. think it will catch on? LOL, doubt it. Maybe an avid adapter collector will read this and post pics of the difference`s:-D

-
Back