9002S Thermoquad carb

-

Cuprum-74

Moparus Fanaticus
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Calling all Thermoquad experts:

I have a lead for a 9002S Thermoquad carb for only $25. It is a little rough but moves freely and still looks functional.

I tried doing some research on this and all I've come up with is that it is for for a 75-76? 360 AT.

I have a 360 with about 9.7:1 compression and .509 INT/.522 EXH, lift hyd. roller cam
Stock 308 heads with mild work done, Hooker comp headers and an air-gap intake manifold.
I currently have a Carter AFB 625 CFM carb on it right now.

When it comes to Carter AFB/Edelbrock performer series carbs I know quite a bit about them.
I have rebuilt 3 AFB's and 1 Edel. performer. I made one attempt to rebuild a Quadrajet M4ME (or M4MC), unsuccessfully.

Are these a good series of Thermoquads to work on? I don't have much experience with these carbs. I did some tuning on a Thermoquad 18 years ago on my 1984 Ramcharger I used to own.

Yes, though the exact model I do not know. Tell me what vacuum lines are on it and if there are two holes in the front of the primary bores.

I think that's the hp 360 carb with the 1-1/2" primary. I would use it if it is. If it's the smaller primary I would not.

I think that's the hp 360 carb with the 1-1/2" primary. I would use it if it is. If it's the smaller primary I would not.

It is, I just picked up one yesterday as a matter of fact.

[FONT=&quot]9002 75-76 360 HP AT F IE (3830529) 4095 5143 1998 1-1/2 2[/FONT]

Yes, It is a 1.5 inch primary.
I went ahead and bought it.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

That model pictured is the one listed above?
I myself would not use it. Seek an earlier model for such a built up engine. In a moderate build, it will be OK.

your going to need the linkage from the choke pull off to the secondary air door if you dont have it

Yup, that is the one pictured, I already went ahead and bought it...#-o

I'm attempting a rebuild on it (if so it needs). I'm going to try and learn more about these things.

I learned to rebuild Carter AFB's and Edel performer's by myself.

How hard can these Thermoquads be?

How hard can these Thermoquads be?

Lol, rebuilding them isn't bad, tuning them, well............ you may need Rogaine after. lol

Just be sure and check the wells (bottom of bowls in the phenolic part), they can come loose and leak. It's best to remove them and epoxy them back on if there is any doubt.

I got my kit from NAPA, use brass floats too, the kit I bought had plastic so I bought the brass separate.

If you get it together right, and tune it right, they are a really good carb. I have about ten of them.

Attachments

• 10626448_10202582363339689_1495591635981502106_n.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 372
  • 10599336_10202582364779725_4160072215029573967_n.jpg
    48.6 KB · Views: 393
I think thats what this one is, off of a 360 in a 79 truck?? I gave $20 for it just to keep it from falling into the wrong hands. Its a little dusty, some carb spray make it look almost brand new.

Are you still selling this?

**EDIT** Oops, my bad... You paid $20 for it, lol... Never mind

I couldnt let it go to waste lol so it just sits on my desk at the shop, someday somebody will force me to sell it to em or I will get mad at my Holley LOL, I think its an 850, never got into researching it, may be an 9205 or 9207S??? cant remember.

Better! I try for the ones that have the fewest vacuum ports and the earliest years. The truck TQ's have less vacuum ports since there standard emissions were higher. Cars were lower.

If the TQ has 1-1/2 primaries, there considered an 850.

TQ's must be set up right before they hit the intake manifold. There are many external adjustments that have to be met first. It is just easier to do on the bench. It beats leaning over the fender.

Remember to use a thick gasket. The thin paper ones are garbage and throw the TQ's choke out of whack. If your going to use the stock choke, the thick gasket is a must. Setting up the carb as a manual choke is a pain and ugly looking.

Tuning parts are a pain to find and jets by the self are pricey. With big cams, or just more accurately cams with a lot of overlap and radical idles are hard to tune in no matter the carb used. The TQ has a single spring in the center. You can use AFB springs if your a little slick.
Deleating the spring is t the end all ethier. The TQ has a cam in the base plate throttle body section designed to give lift to the rod tree no matter what the vacuum signal is reading.

Always replace the 2 metal tabs after you swap rods.
Adjusting the rear air door is a weird acting mod. When you watch the AF ratio on a gauge, it'll drive you nuts playing with the secondary air door.
You can redrill the secondary jets easy enough.

Once you get it all dialed in and learn it some, your more than likely going to really like this flexable forgiving carb for its throttle response and WOT ability. There not for everybody or just any combo.

I love TQs. I just love them.They are great street carbs. I love;

- the throttle response of the primaries - and the secondary roar at full song.
- and midrange torque when A/F is right on - the moaning sound they often make at part throttle
- and the fuel economy they can achieve - and the low speed tuneability
- and their compact vertical dimension - and their huge float-bowls
- and all the gizmos the factory put on them - and their handsome good looks
- and their ability to resist percolation with unbelievable underhood temps
- and their ability to work well on almost any CID
- I just wish somebody would bring back the strip-kits

Your airgap is square bore, so you need to run an adapter or get the die grinder out to open up the flange. TQ are great and easy to dial in with a wideband.

IIRC, you can not open the AG to a TQ. You will need a spacer. Hood clearance is now an issue. Or purchase a LD-340 and open that up to a TQ carb pad opening.

Hey Rob; good catch on the TQ to AG, being basically a no-go.
-Id like to add that some would argue that a 625 is too small for that cam, but I would argue that a .509cam is a bit big for street. The two are seldom together. I think, just my 2cents, that they can,on the street, be made to play nice together, for like, 80% or better of the time. I mean just how often is that streeter at full load/full song? (Having said that, I wouldnt give up my double pumper;theres something, just ,right about 4 barrels open right now,anytime.) And a small-primary carb can sometimes give back a little torque that the big cam gives up.And if money is tight, its kind of a no-brainer; Tune it and use it.
-I ran a 600 vacuum secondary on my H.O.360-4spd S-clone for one summer.It wasnt thaaat bad.By the end of the summer I had almost forgotten how it ran with the bigger carb.Not saying Id ever go back,tho. But a spread-bore is,IMHO, the best of both worlds, for a streeter, on carbs. Its just too bad the Airgap doesnt come in a spread-bore configuration.Some day Id like to try one of those Offy Dualports. Too bad they only come in small-ports.YadaYadaYada. Time goes marching on.

IIRC, you can not open the AG to a TQ. You will need a spacer. Hood clearance is now an issue. Or purchase a LD-340 and open that up to a TQ carb pad opening.

Or go the easy way and get a Weiand Action+ they are already made for a spreadbore:D

-
Back