904 dilema HELP!!

-

66cuda

2011Armada K of C 1st PL
Reaction score
OK...here is the deal... bought a 66 & restored it to BOND with the girlfriends 19 yr old son....he spent 4 days working on it and joined the ARMY...on one hand he is an idiot ( joining during a war is noble but stupid) on the other I am kinda proud of him...he was kinda wimpy and that was a bold move...ANYWAY...
I found a 69 340 big valve J heads and had it reworked...it came with a 904 no clue on the year and it was not attached....I went thru it for around $300 and made sure it was all where it was supposed to be.... AND I know the narrow 66 has issues with 727 fiting.....OK so now we are getting ready to bolt it all together.....I read an article that says 904 have a 6 model & an 8 model....hruumph how do ya know? I also read if you have up to 325 horses 904 will take it just peachy....1 HP past 325 and it will pretty much blow up!! LOVELY....not that I mind switching tranny's but I have heard the tunnel needs to be modified ( cut away and enlarged for a 727) and the underside and inside have been blasted & painted...seems a waste to do that all over....

SO here is the questions.... are all 904's the same? if not how can you tell the difference? any way to get one built that will handle the 69 340 HP? what is the approx cost for such a venture?..... The kid ( was a motor head) and he is in IRAQ....for the next 5 years!! in the meantime I have a lump of parts that need to become a car.... suggestions on transmissions and associated modifications & costs WELCOMED!!

there is a difference in 904's from the slant to 8. see if the bolt holes match up from the back of your engine block to the trans.

slant six and v8 trannys are different. the starter is located in a different place. Shame you spent money on it, you might be able to get it back but the way the economy is I doubt it. Can't seem to sell anything these days.

If your 904 is properly built, it should handle 400 HP no problem. As for the 727, you don't need to cut away any of the tunnel to make it fit, just take a hammer and flatten over the metal joint where the floor and firewall metal are joined.

If the front case of the 904 you have is for a slant 6 you would know it. Its shaped oddly. Build it with quality parts and run it.

been drag racing with 904s for 15 yrs...never had any problem with them.

69 barracuda and 71 dart...

Ditto here on drag racing with a 904 behind a 340........not a problem

i started using 904's 40 yrs ago work great . I even use /6 converter's manual shift body's . Around 100 lbs lighter , lower first gear ratio , here's one for ya to think on special case 904 internals behind a hemi 572 in a b body car et 8.70 around the 150 mph range

-
Back