904 front clutch clearance

-

Sean Mooney

Reaction score
just disassembled a 904 to check it over and found the front clutch clearance (5clutch drum)was only .042. Is this too tight and if so would it cause a noise when cold and put in reverse as this is the only problem with the tranny. Other than that it shifts good. Also clutch friction disks show no sign of wear.
Thanks
Sean

Front clutch should .010-.012 per disc.....I usually set the 5 disc drum to .060 minimum.

PM Tom Hand. He's written a book on the matter.

VOETOM is his username.

.075-.150 is the Mopar FSM spec. Can be a lot tighter than that. I set them like Tony at .010-.012 per disc so yours is a little tight. I doubt that's causing the squawk though. Was the rear band adjusted correctly? What is the condition of it and the rear drum? If the drum and or band is glazed that may be your squawk

.075-.150 is the Mopar FSM spec. Can be a lot tighter than that. I set them like Tony at .010-.012 per disc so yours is a little tight. I doubt that's causing the squawk though. Was the rear band adjusted correctly? What is the condition of it and the rear drum? If the drum and or band is glazed that may be your squawk
Thanks

-
Back