904 Kicked into reverse by itself!!!!

-

Gandy Dancer

Reaction score
Today I was doing some timing work on my 318 which is mated to a 904 transmission. I finally got the motor started, and at that point I got out of the driver's seat and walked around to the front of the car. After only running for about a minute, the car jumped into reverse by itself! I luckily saved the car from hitting anything! I want to know if anyone would have any idea as to why the car would do such a thing. Any reccomendations on how to handle the transmission after today? The car is a 1966 Plymouth Barracuda. Thanks FABO members!

shifter linkage isnt lined up properly, check for bushings or washers between all conections. i have had this happen and it turned out to be missing nylon washers at a couple connecting points. my guess is they were worn and crumbled? not sure but you can also check for any bent linkage

shifter linkage isnt lined up properly, check for bushings or washers between all conections. i have had this happen and it turned out to be missing nylon washers at a couple connecting points. my guess is they were worn and crumbled? not sure but you can also check for any bent linkage

X2 mine is a little off somewhere and I have to bump the shifter forward sometimes to engage the neutral safety switch .

Thanks Discharger and Cannucky I was thinking that it may be a linkage problem. I have her jacked up now, so I'll get under there and take a look at the connections.

check the plastic bushing where the shifter rod goes through the floor it pops up and out sometimes I hear

I think what happened was that it was in reverse at the trans when it started and when the fluid got circulating it applied reverse.

It's probably the linkage lying to you like mentioned above.

Glad it wasn't a worse outcome, that woulda sucked.

I have been looking around online, but does anyone know of a schematic of the transmission linkage and gear shift assembly all the way up to the knob, or is this one of those times where I have to figure it out by taking it apart? Thanks!

Hold the phone Gandy, I have a book that shows your linkage
Is it a V8 or /6, column shift or on the floor ? I will post pictures
here for you :coffee2:

Here is the best I can do, hope this helps, one is a column shifter and the other is a floor shifter :coffee2:

Attachments

• Avenger 1 016.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Avenger 1 017.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 152
  • Avenger 1 018.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 162
  • Avenger 1 019.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 155
  • Avenger 1 020.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Avenger 1 021.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 161
  • Avenger 1 022.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 171
My guess... floor shift, broken left motor support, and possibly bushing gone for lower shift rod guide, reving engine.

Thanks MeMike - I am going to print those pictures out and also like everyone else says, take a look at the bushings and so forth. Thanks!

"Scuse me if this seems tacky, but whatever happened to setting the parking brake and/or blocking the wheels.
Glad it didn't go forward and you kept it from damage, but THINK about it!!!

ATB

BC

"Scuse me if this seems tacky, but whatever happened to setting the parking brake and/or blocking the wheels.
Glad it didn't go forward and you kept it from damage, but THINK about it!!!

ATB

BC

Regularly using a park brake is a habit that comes from owning/driving a manual trans vehicle.
Lots of the younger folks can't even operate a manual trans vehicle.

my guess is that the car may be possessed. perhaps its Christine's cousin.....i would try having a talk with it....it might be feeling hurt about something and is letting out agressions....maybe some issue from the past ....some trauma that happened to it when it was new. :toothy10:

i have never seen anyone use a parking brake with an auto.

its habit for me bcoz all i have are manual shift cars.

thats scary....glad it didnt hit anything.

-
Back