904 lock-up 1989

-

valle6062

Reaction score
Hi guys :)
I have a Valiant 1962 with a HP273 and 904 from a Dodge Van 1989.
When I bought the transmission I just put it on the car for removing it from my yard for the winter. It was working just fine on all step.
today I removed it from the car for cleaning and some rebuild, gaskets and things like that. What I was discoverd was that it is a lock-up and has some funy litle thing on the left rear where there should be sitting a solonoid whit a single wire.
The big cuestion I have is, how do I get the lock-up funktion to work?
I have a B/M Star Shifter.....
Do anyone have som ideas???:cheers::cheers::cheers:

please forgive my bad spelling:glasses7:

It's already locking since that function is hydraulically controlled. By connecting 12v to the solenoid you can temporarily (manually) unlock it, but that's it.

It's already locking since that function is hydraulically controlled. By connecting 12v to the solenoid you can temporarily (manually) unlock it, but that's it.

Ok, I think I understand, but not sure, "I have never used such new transmissions before". When its locked, the turbin does not skid as in a normal auto-trans? and when the solenoid work it is like a normal auto-trans?:sign6::sign6::sign6:

Basically, yes.

When the converter is locked it turns the converter into a 1-to-1 coupler, just like the clutch in a manual transmission. This function is automatically controlled (hydraulically) and will lock in 3rd gear around 30-40 mph. Any other time the trans is unlocked and will work just like the non lock-up units you're used to.

Basically, yes.

When the converter is locked it turns the converter into a 1-to-1 coupler, just like the clutch in a manual transmission. This function is automatically controlled (hydraulically) and will lock in 3rd gear around 30-40 mph. Any other time the trans is unlocked and will work just like the non lock-up units you're used to.

Ok. Now I´m feeling a little bit smarter:finga:
Many thanks for your answer:newb:

-
Back