904 Lost Acting Up

-

69valiant21

Reaction score
Sooo a few months back I had a well known and respected Mopar mechanic buddy install a brand new Turbo Action forward pattern manual valve body in my 904.

Once it was installed it shifted VERY hard, shook the car pretty good . I also noticed I had to give it quite a bit of gas to move in reverse. I didnt feel like something was binding but felt more like reverse just wasnt engaged all the way. Smooth but needed a lot of gas.

I asked him about it and he said check the fluid level, which was good. But thats where it left off because I was racing it the next weekend. Went racing and everything was working as I described above, shifting hard and reverse sucked. Got home that weekend and parked it for several weeks at my parents because I was moving. So I go to my parents the other night to pick it up and everything is still the same, until I get 1/4 mile down the road. I should add I wasnt beating on it for that 1/4 mile, no more than 3/4 throttle. Then all of a sudden the tranny acts like it was put in to neutral. First, second and third all felt like neutral.

Any ideas? Plan on taking it to a tranny shop that works on mopars for a diagnosis. If its blown Im not sure if I want to have it rebuilt or build a 727. I plan on a 408 build in a few years so Im not sure the 904 would hold up to that kind of power anyway. Any thoughts are appreciated.

That same thing happened to mine, valve body was plugged up and clutches were shot. How was it working before?

Jake

Bet ya the rubber seals gave up and it fried the forward clutches.

Got the car to the shop and dropped the pan and everything appeared normal. So they pulled the tranny. At this point they suspect the input shaft of the converter was too long and it pushed the pump in to the housing....no more pump.

Got the car to the shop and dropped the pan and everything appeared normal. So they pulled the tranny. At this point they suspect the input shaft of the converter was too long and it pushed the pump in to the housing....no more pump.

could they or you explain that one again?

From what I understand....the pump was being pushed into something else by the shaft on the converter....it would help if I knew more about transmissions...

As far as having to give it a lot of gas to get it to move in reverse put the trans in neutral for a couple of seconds then in reverse and it will move normally. Thats the way some valve bodies are they do not pump as much fluid in park as they do in neutral.Once you put it in neutral and pump more fluid the 1st time it will be okay till the next time you start it from sitting for awhile

Apparently the internals of the trans were for a lockup converter but the converter and valvebody were non-lockup?

From what I understand....the pump was being pushed into something else by the shaft on the converter....it would help if I knew more about transmissions...
By the shaft on the converter do you/they mean the hub on the converter? With the pump being bolted to the case of the transmission, it's hard to figure what they mean by "the pump being pushed into something else". Sounds like a shop to avoid with that kind of mumble speak.
JMHO.

-
Back