904 / New Converter, abnormal noise

-
removed the trans today, no signs of abnormal wear on the converter hub. But i found sth. strange at the reaction shaft, the Splines are somewhat "gone".....any clue what can cause this?

I did not notice this before instalallation of the new converter. Is the shaft still ok, or should i replace it?

View attachment 1715318513 View attachment 1715318514

Uh oh, I think you found your noise, and why you were hearing a spin down sound.
This is a lockup but the reaction shaft splines should look like this.
Your's have been shaved down.

Pic 1.JPG

Uh oh, I think you found your noise, and why you were hearing a spin down sound.
This is a lockup but the reaction shaft splines should look like this.
Your's have been shaved down.

View attachment 1715318670
Good call TailBeast!! There is also a good possibility that the internal splines in the converter may also be fubar'd. I'm not saying they are, but that possibility is there. A good move to send it back to be cut opened and inspected.

My S800 from Turbo Action required a front pump bushing replacement to babbitt lined. The OEM bushing is to soft. Check the instructions that came with your converter.
99% of the bushings I sold in the past were Babbitt. I also believe that the original bushings were Babbitt lined, although I might stand corrected. Trailbeast or Rusty should be able to confirm or deny that.

no, the trans is not a lock up unit, 4028464 from 76/77. The new custom made converter is also not a lock up unit…..at least i did definitively not order a lock up unit.

The converter stator splines inner diameter is much bigger compared to a stock converter, even bigger than the inner Diameter of the converter hub. I think i found the Problem, gonna tell the manufacturer about it. I´m not amused.

Will keep you updated.

Yes, all factory oem bushings were babbit. Kim
Thanks Kim, I thought so. As I recall, about the only time we were asked for bronze bushings were from some High Performance guys. Whether the bronze were any better than babbitt bushings or not was/is debatable. It seems to me when I got in the industry in 1980 there was some concern about the converter hubs being too soft and the bronze bushings could/would sieze on the hub. Now of course all converter builders and re-builders use a hardened hub.

99% of the bushings I sold in the past were Babbitt. I also believe that the original bushings were Babbitt lined, although I might stand corrected. Trailbeast or Rusty should be able to confirm or deny that.

Thanks Kim, I thought so. As I recall, about the only time we were asked for bronze bushings were from some High Performance guys. Whether the bronze were any better than babbitt bushings or not was/is debatable. It seems to me when I got in the industry in 1980 there was some concern about the converter hubs being too soft and the bronze bushings could/would sieze on the hub. Now of course all converter builders and re-builders use a hardened hub.

You got it as far as I remember in both cases, except from what I remember the bronze bushings were harder on the converter hub (even hardened hubs).
I do remember the bronze bushings were a pain in the butt to stake due to their tendency to crack instead of bend.
On a performance trans we used a bronze bushing with red locktite on the bushing and seal both after wire wheeling the paint off the seal edges and the aftermarket seal retainer, so there was zero chance of blowing the seal out.

Hi Guys,

update here! Transport to and in U.S. took nearly forever.....but few days ago the converter finally arrived at manufacturers place. They checked it, just yesterday i got a call from the owner: they did a mistake, put a wrong stator inside it (one for a 727). He apologized that he did not catch it, converter is repaired and correctly equipped, now on the way back to germany via express - at their dime. I told him about the damaged stator support before, he offered to put in a good one....but since i already replaced it i said it´s ok, don´t need it. He also offered to directly call him for future needs.

So obviously **** happens. But that´s the way a professional should take care of his customers, i am ok with this now.

Hopefully the converter is here soon, will have a race end of next week.....curious how it works now with correct torque multiplication ;-)

Will keep you updated!

Michael

Ok, back from my Weekend trip and first race in 2019. Everything went smooth, no trouble with the converter or trans.

Converter did fine, car picked up some speed (around 2-3 mph) with less rpms (around 2-300 according tach, forgot SD card to datalog via Sniper efi) and the ET improved 2 to 3 tenth at the same track and conditions. Unfortunately i did not find perfect traction, had to pedal it to get some grip with my pro bracket radials. Now waiting for the next race on better surface, i´m sure i´m getting closer to my 10.99 Goal (11.50 now there with 1.85 60ft., should be around 11.20 with my previous best 1.57 60ft.).

So.....PTC did well in my opinion, even if there was a mistake with the internals. I like that they stand behind their product and did not tell me bullshit about the cause.

Michael

Ok, back from my Weekend trip and first race in 2019. Everything went smooth, no trouble with the converter or trans.

Converter did fine, car picked up some speed (around 2-3 mph) with less rpms (around 2-300 according tach, forgot SD card to datalog via Sniper efi) and the ET improved 2 to 3 tenth at the same track and conditions. Unfortunately i did not find perfect traction, had to pedal it to get some grip with my pro bracket radials. Now waiting for the next race on better surface, i´m sure i´m getting closer to my 10.99 Goal (11.50 now there with 1.85 60ft., should be around 11.20 with my previous best 1.57 60ft.).

So.....PTC did well in my opinion, even if there was a mistake with the internals. I like that they stand behind their product and did not tell me bullshit about the cause.

Michael
PTC being a quality company will/should stand behind their products, and they have for you. A smart *** answer I've given in the past when it came to converter issues was "God wasn't on shift at the time your converter was made". It broke the ice, calmed down the stressed out customer, and then the problem would be addressed and resolved.
I got a lot of laughs and 99.9% understood that **** can happen for whatever reason.
Producers of quality converters rarely have many issues with their products, unless of course they've been fed a load of B.S. about what the converter is going to be behind. JMHO

-
Back