904 shift kit problems

-

cray

Reaction score
i just installed a B&M shift improver kit in my 72 dart 318 with 904. Before install it was shifting fine but not hard enough. After install it shifts fine at half throttle or less if i am above half throttle it has a putting on the brakes sensation. I have rechecked torque on kickdown band. Help please.

yes, i did back it off two turns. I think it is called shift overlap. Hope someone can tell me what in the valve body controls the timing.

..........loosen off the front band 1/2 turn..............what is the kd band set at now.....is this when the trans is in drive or r u manually shifting.......kim.......u said improver kit......just the plate and sv rod........is the kit 4 the rite year trans/vb....

it is set at 72 inch pounds and backed off two turns, problem is in drive or manual shift, the kit is for this year. thanks any other ideas.

.............OK what is the rear band set at, or did u adj it.....what parts did u change.....loosen the kd band 1/2 turn, see if it helps.................kim........

I have never seen this with a B&M kit only with the trans go kit,but anyways u r not useing the 5.0 kick down lever if so take it out use the 3.8 or 4.2 ratio ones or back off the band 1/2 turn more,whats happening is the high cluches are applying before the band is coming off thats the break feel you have it will burn the clutches out quick.recheck your steps.

i didn't adjust the rear band, directions say just the front one. The problem seemed to be in all gears, although i didn't want to drive much. I will try backing the band off some. If that don't do it i will pull valve body and recheck all the steps. Thanks for all the help.

The low reverse band is holding in manual low. That will cause your 1-2 over lap. What got changed in the kit? Any springs, blocker rods, or plugs?

Directions called for leaving out three springs #1 1-2 accumulator spring (big spring on top of valve body), #2 spring and check ball in valve body, #3 shuttle valve spring (i installed a plug in the shuttle valve). Also it called for installing a steel ball in spring for 1-2 shift control valve.

Did you put a blocker rod in the acumulator when you took the spring out?
Don'tthink it's the cause of your problem but it will keep the piston from slamming up and down.

Mopar Performance sells one in their catalog, but you can make one. It's just a 3/8's piece of aluminium tubing about 2 1/4 inches long. Copper tubing works too. It goes in the hollow part of the accumulator and then the accumulator slides into the case.
Don't drive it untill you fix this.

I'm with Bob on putting a blocker rod under the accumulator so the piston doesn't slam back and forth. I doubt that's your problem but it is a potential problem as the piston may eventually break if left like it it. Any rigid 1/2" diameter round material can be used to make a blocker rod.

Did the kit also have you install a restrictor in the main case where the high clutch is fed?

I have had issues using B&M kits in the past and now only use Trans-go kits. Been using Trans-go for about 12 yrs. with no problems.

No it want cause your problem,If you left valve body separator screws loose will,double check them even the ones that hold the plate to the body.

.............What year is the trans/ valve body.........71 up does not use the ball for the 1-2 shift control valve............kim...........

-
Back