904 sittin for a decade?

-

Meet-Joe-"Dart"

Reaction score
Just thinking about picking up a rebuilt 904 from a local Mopar collector. I've dealt with him before, and I like dealing with him. He's got a 904, rebuilt 10yrs ago, never run, never had any fluid in it. He says it was built right, for a car that never got finished. Bigger bands, extra gear, shift kit, (2800-3000 stall converter custom built by B&M). He says it would cost $2500 to build this tranny today, he wants $1200.00 FIRM. Can I rebuild my 904 for less than this? I LIKE the idea of running a 904. After ten years of sitting would I have to open it up and change gaskets etc... its never had any fluid in it still I wonder? Any opinions? Thx

it will in all likely hood have some rust inside if the thing wasn't sealed and oiled completely. you should be able to build your 904 for the price of a good race kit ($150-$200)plus what type of vb you want and other upgrades. you should have between $500-$600 in it. this is of course if you have the few special tools to do it yourself. if you just want a stock rebuild about $70.

x2 what b0b said...its more than likely a case,all internal stuff will be rusty and proly useless

Just had my 904 rebuilt with some upgrades, better frictions, extra clutches, transgo tf-2 was $800 installed. I allways go local on tranny work. If you have the place to work and clean up the parts a 904 is easy to build yourself. Did them on picnic tables before even, lol. Just didn't have facilities this time to do it myself.

He says it was built right

and what is that supposed to mean?? unless you know exactly what is in there and that it is in perfect working condition i wouldn't spend $1200 on it.

I just had my 904 rebuilt and a new stall converter 2200 truck stall and used the heavy bands and clutch kit, 1 year warrantee $560 after everything..
If you have a good clean area inside you will be surprised how easy these are rebuilt, Type 904 trans rebuild on you tube and watch it being dun.

Thx guys I don't know if I'll attempt to build the 904 myself(maybe I will?) But thanks for the advice I'll pass on the 10yr old transmission. Probably start looking around for a shop to to the work.

Alum/billet drum, pro transbrake, etc, it might be worth that.

$2500 for a rebuilt 904 and a $200-250 converter.. Not to me.

It's maybe 600 on a good day and would have to be guaranteed to work at that price.

If you are mechanically inclined, they are EASY to rebuild. You'd have $200 max in parts. I have a 727 dvd which is very similar to the 904 or get a ATSG manual for about $30 and do it yourself. They aren't rocket science.

If the trans was assembled with the proper lube and stored in a dry environment, it should be fine. The price seems a little steep though.....

Went on youtube to find some videos and found these guys:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xzJhCBZ1wMY&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]Rebuilding 727 torqueflite 600hp part1 - YouTube[/ame]

They have 19 videos on youtube that basically takes you from beginning to end on building up a 727. They show you just about every step. I'm not a trans guy so I found it pretty interesting and informative.

For that kind of money he'd better

Come get your car

install and test that transmission

Deliver the car back to you spotless and clean

Guarantee the transmission for about 5 and 50

call the boys at TCS in Langley they do all the goodies for 904s I got my rebuild stuff from them it cost more for us Canadians than the american guys are quoting you but it was around 900 for the full race rebuild kit , the 24 spring return module and the billet steel drum kit that includes the aluminum piston that is designed to work with the return module , and I also got the new pump kit but you rarely need to replace them so that was a waste of about 35 bucks on my part . Add in a good 10" converter and a valve body and your looking at another 6-700 hundred bucks on top of the 900 to "do it right ", they run a 1400 hp pro car with this setup so I doubt you'll ever break it

PS I used the youtube videos to do mine between the series for the 904 and the one for the 727 you'll learn alot

Ahhhh great, appreciate the info guys... LOVE this forum!!! I'll talk to TCS in Langley, I think I'll consider doing it my self. (I watched some utube vids and I'll watch some more!)

-
Back