904 Slipping in second

-

Dartfan71

Reaction score
I'm not really a trans guy, but here goes.

After installing a fresh very stout 360 in my dart my 904 has started slipping shifting into second. The launch in first is great and 3rd is great also. The 904 has a 3000 stall convertor, TF2 shift kit and that is about it. Could it just be a band adjustment?

Its possible that its just a band adjustment, but that may just be a temporary fix. When my 727 started slipping on the 1-2 shift, the band adjustment didn't help. 2 months later when it finally crapped out completely, i found out why. The band had lost all friction material, and the clutches were burnt.

Its possible that its just a band adjustment, but that may just be a temporary fix. When my 727 started slipping on the 1-2 shift, the band adjustment didn't help. 2 months later when it finally crapped out completely, i found out why. The band had lost all friction material, and the clutches were burnt.

Thanks for the reply. Is that adjustment internal or external? Really don't want to pull the pan or the trans.

I did a little more searching. I will check my kickdown and band adjustment first.

Scotty Ya need mo powa.
Are you using the KD mechanism to increase the TV pressure?
You need more clamping power. Get the hi-ratio arm and crank up the line pressure!
Do it now while you still have band left.

Once the band starts slipping it'll never be the same, but it may get by for awhile.

When I first got my car it didn't have second at all, but would skip right from first to third.
The band was so far out of adjustment it couldn't apply at all so it didn't even hurt it.
They can slip from being so far out of adjustment, or from lack of holding ability.

Scotty Ya need mo powa.
Are you using the KD mechanism to increase the TV pressure?
You need more clamping power. Get the hi-ratio arm and crank up the line pressure!
Do it now while you still have band left.

What is the high ratio arm?

The factory front apply arm-ratio runs from the high 2s to to the high 3s. I did once see a 4.2 (I think it was), which I snapped up and stuck into my 904 winter package back in yr2000.
But you can get a 5.xx from the aftermarket, like A&A Transmission, This arm will multiply the apply force coming from the front servo, and if your problem is slippage due to insufficient clamping, this will solve it.The tranny has to come down tho to install it, and the pan off, and probably the VB too,IIRC.

The factory front apply arm-ratio runs from the high 2s to to the high 3s. I did once see a 4.2 (I think it was), which I snapped up and stuck into my 904 winter package back in yr2000.
But you can get a 5.xx from the aftermarket, like A&A Transmission, This arm will multiply the apply force coming from the front servo, and if your problem is slippage due to insufficient clamping, this will solve it.The tranny has to come down tho to install it, and the pan off, and probably the VB too,IIRC.
Thank you so much. Maybe this is the way to go.

-
Back