904 tailshaft bushing R & R

-

twotone68

lifetime mopar man
Reaction score
Haven't been in a service manual yet , do I Have To Take The Entire trans out n disassemble to change the tail shaft bushing ????? It's a 75 904. Thanks.

No. You can remove the ext housing with the trans in place. You have to remove the driveshaft, unbolt the trans mount and remove the crossmember (support the trans with a floor jack while doing this) then remove the trans mount and under it you'll see a steel plate about 1/2" wide by 3-4" long that has 2 large Phillips screws holding it in place. Take that off and it exposes the snap ring that secures the ext housing to the output shaft. You also have to remove the speedometer cable and speedometer pinion and adapter and take out the bolts securing the ext housing to the main case. Get a new gasket to replace the one between the main case and ext housing and a new O-ring for the speedo pinion adapter. Once the ext housing is unbolted you get to have fun getting that big snap ring I mentioned earlier that's under the mount to let go. If you have a really big set of external snap ring pliers it helps a lot. It can be done with two large flat tip screwdrivers if necessary but it's not fun. Replace bushing and rear seal and assemble in reverse order

These work great, and I have used them a bunch of times before.
The tool on the right pulls the bushing out, and the one on the left is the installation driver.

The trick is to find one you can use, and then all you have to do is remove the driveline and not take any of the trans or mounts apart at all.

Maybe we need to have a FABO loaner tool section. :D

Attachments

• puller.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 384
LOts Of great Input !!! Thank You All !!! I Will Talk To Local trans Guys For these Tools If Not I Will Go The next Route .

These work great, and I have used them a bunch of times before.
The tool on the right pulls the bushing out, and the one on the left is the installation driver.

The trick is to find one you can use, and then all you have to do is remove the driveline and not take any of the trans or mounts apart at all.

Maybe we need to have a FABO loaner tool section. :D

That's the first time I've seen that removal tool. For the work it'd save it'd be worth buying one if they aren't priced real crazy

Twotone one thing I forgot to mention is the bushing has an oil hole that needs aligned so make sure and clock the new bushing just as the old one was.

That's the first time I've seen that removal tool. For the work it'd save it'd be worth buying one if they aren't priced real crazy

Twotone one thing I forgot to mention is the bushing has an oil hole that needs aligned so make sure and clock the new bushing just as the old one was.

Those tools are priceless when you charge for a bushing replacement and it only takes 10 min to do it. :D

If I remember there is a channel cut on the bottom right (about the 5 o clock position) that the oil hole on the bushing lines up with.

I can't seem to find a picture of one, but I'm pretty sure about it, and a little known fact about why at the 5 o clock position and not straight at the bottom where you would think the most fluid would be was because the spinning internals blows the fluid over to that side and then it runs down the channel to the bushing.

Trip huh? :)

Those tools are priceless when you charge for a bushing replacement and it only takes 10 min to do it. :D

I bet. I learned a long time ago good tools can quickly pay for themselves

If I remember there is a channel cut on the bottom right (about the 5 o clock position) that the oil hole on the bushing lines up with.

I can't seem to find a picture of one, but I'm pretty sure about it, and a little known fact about why at the 5 o clock position and not straight at the bottom where you would think the most fluid would be was because the spinning internals blows the fluid over to that side and then it runs down the channel to the bushing.

Trip huh? :)

I figured it must have been something like that

-
Back