904 to 5 speed

-

thedartsport

Reaction score
i have a 904 in my 74 dart sport and i want to take a dodge dakota 5 speed and swap them. what modifications would i have to do as far as making it fit?

I did this swap on my 72 dart. Depending on what engine you have if its a 318 it would bolt right up. I got mine from a 94 dakota v6 and used that flywheel and clutch and bolted right up and didnt have any balancing issues either, from what i heard tho the 360 you have to change the balancer and get a 360 flywheel for it because its externaly ballanced.
I Modified (cut)the tranny crossmember half way and notch it to clear the back part of the dakota transmission, flatten the lip part where the firewall and the bottom of the floorboards connect together under the car, cut a hole for the shifter, and move the engine up an inch foward for the shifter housing on the tranyto fit where i cut the tranny crossmember and for the stock driveshaft to fit and i modified a transmission mount to make it work with the trany. It was a trial and error process but it worked out great for me.

-
Back