904 to 727 swap

-

73DrtSptr

Reaction score
Hey guys, Ok so I opted for a fresh 727 over the current 904 in my 340, 73 Dart Sport. Received the tranny from the rebuilder with a wieghted tq. sent it back and now, seems to be some discussion as to which tq I should be using???? Haven't been able to speak with the guy yet, due to family thing.

FYI the tq in the 904 has a starter ring that is about a maybe 1/2" wide, the one they sent with the tranny has a starter ring about 1" wide. Does it matter whether I run 10" or 11" tq in this tranny as long as it is a 727 tq. 340 is stockish with a factory forged crank. So I know I need a netural tq, just don't know what questions I should be asking of if matters what tq I get as long it's for a 727. Also have a B&M flexplate with both bolt patterns.

Any help would be appreciated

The 73 340 has a cast crank in it & requires a small weight on the t.c. Yer damper up front should look like a 360's damper correct? Most "smaller dia"convertres are higher in stall speed & depends on the bulider of them. All 904 ring gears have narrow ring gear,& some 727's have thin gear (low stall's manly) & others have wide gear ( more likely to have higher stall) hope this helps a little. I did the convertion in my old 76 dart the only thing i had to change was drive shaft lenght.

Thanks for the info Hipo65. I do have a factory forged crank, I checked the numbers, so in other words, all I need to be concerned about is that I have a neutral converter and the prefered stall on the converter, everything else is interchangable???

since you are a forged crank..just tell the converter guy you want a converter for a 70 340...

"Should" be good to go man, shorten drive shaft & all else should bolt up fine. I think maybe dip stick was diffrent cant remember for sure though.

-
Back