904 trans shield

-

A/MP

Reaction score
Does anyone use a trans shield other than a blanket around their 904 in a '64 Dart? CSR or Hughes? Thanks

I use the CSI shield on my 65/904 it fits with [some interference]...some grinding required, but very little. I also modifyed it for band adjustment while in the vehicle. I also rotated the "strap" to keep it out of the way and easier access. If this is going into a race car, may I suggest drilling holes throught your fire wall for socket clearance to get at the always tuff bell housing bolts! The shield makes this job even more difficult! If you use allen headed 3/8 X 16, and and extended allen socket, the holes do not have to be very large!
Just my thoughts.

At what E.T times do you need the sheild?Thanks

10.99 or faster...

I just installed one today on a 904 in a 70 Duster...

Other than trimming three tabs and the column shifter bolt boss area, it went on pretty easy. Oh yea, we had to flatten the seam in the floor.

I don't like that it covers up the bad adjustment screw (hey CSR, that was STUUUUPID!) but we will fix that next time the trans comes out.

We also thought of cutting bolt holes in the firewall, but was able to loosen the motor mounts enough to let the tailshaft hang down and get them all with a socket and long extension.

But of course an early a-body will be a little limited on room...

Oh, and the supplied 12 point bolts were actually too long and bottomed out; we had to add a lock washer to fix that.

If you modify the shield in any way it is then rendered illegal. You must modify the vehicle or the trans to fit the shield, never grind, file, drill or otherwise cut, hack or alter the shield in any way shape or form.

-
Back